The NFPA Research Fund (previously known as the “Code Fund”) was established in 2006 and is supported each year by a generous financial contribution from NFPA. The purpose of the Fund is to stimulate and provide a mechanism for facilitating research to support the work of NFPA Technical Committees and other NFPA activities.
The Foundation is an independent nonprofit organization whose mission is to plan, manage and communicate research in support of the NFPA mission. The mission of the NFPA is to help save lives and reduce loss with information, knowledge, and passion.
All are encouraged to submit a project idea using the project statement form (docx, 23 KB). Project submittals for the NFPA Research Fund are reviewed on an annual basis at the end of the calendar year. The deadline for the follow year's submittals is December 31. We are seeking ideas of small research or data projects that may help Technical Committees or other NFPA groups resolve issues or stimulate some further research funded by others. NFPA Research Fund projects have typically been reasonably small in size (~$30K or less) and completed within one year. We also have an opportunity to provide some smaller projects to current graduate students, so no project is too small.
The review process is conducted based on recommendations provided by a project review panel, with consideration of factors including but not limited to the following: technical and scientific value, magnitude of problem, available other funding, likelihood of success, required time frame, relation to strategic research agenda, and balancing projects across the broad spectrum of NFPA activity areas. Each year the NFPA Research Fund seeks to partially or fully fund the top prioritized projects based on the available resources.
The Foundation would like to keep the idea generation process on-going throughout the year, so please fill out and submit the project statement form at any time. As project ideas are received, the Foundation will consider how to best pursue. For example, this could mean traditional fund raising to support a project or submission to the pool of NFPA Research Fund project ideas for the upcoming year. If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Successful NFPA Research Fund Application Examples
The following are the NFPA Research Fund projects from prior years:
2016 selected projects
2015 selected projects
2014 selected projects
2013 selected projects
2012 selected projects
- Determining the Appropriate Emergency First Responder PPE for Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Fires (NFPA 70E, 1851, 1855, 1951, 1971, 1975, 1999)
- Guide to Applying Reliability Based Decision Making to ITM Frequency for Fire Protection Systems and Equipment (all NFPA standards that have inspection, testing, and maintenance requirements)
- Development of Quantitative Risk Assessment Examples for Operating Rooms (NFPA 99) (PDF)
- Defining Emergency and Non Emergency Use of Buildings by Occupants (NFPA 1, 101, and 5000) (PDF)
- Assessment of Total Evacuation Systems of Tall Buildings (NFPA 101) (PDF)
- Sprinkler Protection for Cloud Ceilings (NFPA 13) (PDF)
- Combustible Metals Case Studies (NFPA 484) (PDF)
- Evaluation of Fire Service Training Fires (NFPA 1403)
- Assessing the List of Typical Oxidizers (NFPA 400)
2011 selected projects
2010 selected projects
2009 selected projects
2008 selected projects
2007 selected projects
2006 selected projects