Student project initiative
Each year, in our dialogue with NFPA technical committees, we identify a range of projects to meet their information needs. Some of these projects are small literature reviews or assessments that might be well met by a graduate or senior level undergraduate student. The concept would be to match the interests of students with the project needs of the technical committees. The advantage to the student would be working on a project that will have direct impact on codes and standards development.
These projects would not be subject to the Foundation’s normal competitive RFP process and projects will be available on a first come-first serve basis. If there is a student (or a group of students) at an institution who is interested and a faculty member willing to supervise and be the Principal Investigator, then we would proceed. The Foundation would provide a small technical oversight panel that would guide the project. Presumably, this would be useful to the student as well. The timeframes on these projects will also be flexible so that they fit in to the academic model.
We would encourage the students to attend and present at the NFPA annual meeting poster session after the project is completed. It is possible that there will be funding available for direct costs related to the projects.
For more information, contact email@example.com
The following projects are currently available for students
- Fire Hazards in Spaceports (PDF, 137 KB)
- Determining a Safe Quantity of Open Medical Gas Storage in a Smoke Compartment (PDF, 139 KB)
- Evaluation of Multipurpose (ABC) Dry Chemical (Ammonium Phosphate) for Use On or Near Aircraft (PDF, 137 KB)
- Protection Evaluation of Ductwork with Combustible Deposits on Inside Surfaces or Ducts Constructed of Combustible Materials (PDF, 136 KB)
- Investigation of NFPA 59A Coverage Gaps for Unintentional Product Releases from LNG and Other HAZMAT Storage Containers (PDF, 143 KB)
- Fuel Gas Hose Standards and Test Methods Assessment (PDF, 111 KB)
- Impacts of Pressure Surges on Water‐Based Fire Protection Systems (PDF, 121 KB)
- Vent Line Manifold Size and Installation Requirements (PDF, 114 KB)
- Vent Valve/Line Sizing for Boiler Gaseous Fuel Systems (PDF, 114 KB)
- Investigating the Suitability of Biogas for Use in Fuel Gas Distribution Systems (PDF, 196 KB)