In a fire, seconds count. Seconds can mean the difference between residents of our community escaping safely from a fire or having their lives end in tragedy.
That’s why this year’s Fire Prevention Week theme: “Every Second Counts: Plan 2 Ways Out!” is so important. It reinforces why everyone needs to have an escape plan. Here’s this year’s key campaign messages:
- Draw a map of your home (PDF) with all members of your household, marking two exits from each room and a path to the outside from each exit.
- Practice your home fire drill twice a year. Conduct one at night and one during the day with everyone in your home, and practice using different ways out.
- Teach children how to escape on their own in case you can’t help them.
- Make sure the number of your home is clearly marked and easy for the fire department to find.
- Close doors behind you as you leave – this may slow the spread of smoke, heat, and fire.
- Once you get outside, stay outside. Never go back inside a burning building.
For the fire service
This year’s FPW campaign provides an ideal opportunity to educate the public about the importance of home fire escape planning. NFPA has everything you need from ready-to-use social media posts, safety tip sheets, printouts for open houses, and more.
Introduce Fire Prevention Week to students through fun, interactive lessons and activities. NFPA has everything you need from musical fire safety videos, storybook apps, lesson plans and take-home materials to get families involved.
For kids and families
The Sparky the Fire Dog website is full of fun family activities, an awesome YouTube channel, free apps and more.
Fire Prevention Week products
We have the products you need to make your FPW campaign a success. Get a "FPW in a Box" or custom select what you need. Check out our must-have products.