The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) is an international nonprofit organization established in 1896. The company’s mission is to reduce the worldwide burden of fire and other hazards on the quality of life by providing and advocating consensus codes and standards, research, training, and education. With a membership that includes more than 70,000 individuals from nearly 100 nations. NFPA is the world's leading advocate of fire prevention and an authoritative source on public safety. Our International Operations department works to develop and increase global awareness of NFPA, its mission and expertise by promoting worldwide use of NFPA’s technical and educational information.
Codes and Standards
NFPA publishes 300 codes and standards
that are designed to minimize the risk and effects of fire by establishing criteria for building, processing, design, service, and installation in the United States, as well as many other countries. Its more than 200 technical code- and standard- development committees are comprised of over 6,000 volunteer seats. Volunteers vote on proposals and revisions in a process that is accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI). National Fire Codes® Subscription Service All Access
provides individual subscribers with online access to every NFPA code and standard, Handbooks and Annotated Editions. In addition, NFPA provides free online access
to its codes and standards.
Some of the most widely used NFPA codes:
NFPA devotes much of its efforts to protecting lives and property through education. The organization provides many resources for fire, electrical, and life-safety instructions. Our public education
- Fire Prevention Week in October, a national campaign for which NFPA has been the official sponsor since 1922;
- Remembering When®, a program developed to address the leading causes of injuries and death among older adults;
- Learn Not to Burn®, a program developed to address the leading causes of injuries and death among children;
- Activities associated with Sparky the Fire Dog®, the official mascot of NFPA.
NFPA oversees the operation of advocacy campaigns dedicated to increasing fire safety and awareness, including the Fire Sprinkler Initiative
, the Coalition for Fire-Safe Cigarettes
, and the Alliance to Stop Consumer Fireworks.
Stay current with the latest fire and life safety requirements, technologies, and practices with NFPA´s expanded training offerings.
- Led by NFPA staff and other nationally recognized experts, our seminars provide insight into the meaning, intent, and proper application of fire and electrical safety codes.
- NFPA administers professional certification programs including Certified Fire Protection Specialist, Certified Fire Inspector, and Certified Fire Plans Examiner.
- Each June, the NFPA Conference & Expo fosters the exchange of ideas among Association members. New and revised NFPA codes and standards are also discussed and voted upon at these meetings.
- NFPA develops dozens of texts, guides, and other materials that target firefighter and other first responder safety and health.
NFPA is the premier resource for fire data analysis, research, and analysis. This data helps guide educational outreach, support the work of NFPA Technical Committees, and frames the fire-loss picture for organizations, the media, and the general public.
- The Fire Analysis and Research division produces a wide range of annual reports and special studies on all aspects of the nation's fire problem.
- NFPA conducts investigations of fire incidents of technical interest to its constituents, including its Technical Committees and the broader fire community.
- The Fire Protection Research Foundation plans, manages, and communicates research in support of the development of NFPA's codes and standards and educational and public-awareness efforts.
- The Charles S. Morgan Library supports research and maintains the NFPA archives. It is one of the largest fire science libraries in the world.
NFPA members are invited to maximize their membership benefits by joining one or more of our 12 industry-specific Member Sections. Section membership is FREE and included with your NFPA membership.
NFPA's online catalog provides a direct way for customers to purchase NFPA codes and standards, companion products, and public education materials.