Regulations and agenda
Per the Regulations Governing the Development of NFPA Standards (Section 4.5), only Certified Amending Motions (with valid sign-in) and proper Follow-up Motions will be allowed during the NFPA Technical Meeting for standards processed in the Fall and Annual revision cycles.
The agenda for the Technical Meeting will be those standards with Certified Amending Motions as indicated in the Report of the Motions Committee on Certified Amending Motions.
Per the NFPA Bylaws, only NFPA Members of record 180 days before the opening of any Annual, Regular, Special, or Technical Meeting of the NFPA Membership who have duly registered and paid any registration fees for the meeting shall be entitled to vote at that meeting. Except as may be required by law or as may be provided in a Regulation or Standing Rule promulgated pursuant to Article 8 of these Bylaws, any action of the NFPA Voting Membership shall require the affirmative vote of a majority of the votes cast at the meeting.
Voting by proxy shall not be permitted, and the vote of each Voting NFPA Member shall be cast by that member individually.
Under NFPA rules, anyone wishing to make an allowable amending motion at an NFPA Technical Meeting must declare their intentions by filing, within the published deadline, a Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM). NITMAMs submitted on Public Comments (PC) can only be submitted by the original submitter of the PC or their duly authorized Designated Representative. NITMAMs can be made by anyone if the NITMAM is on a Committee Comment, Second Revision, Second Correlating Revision, or in the case of a new standard, a NITMAM to Return the Entire NFPA Standard.
The Motions Committee of the NFPA Standards Council, in accordance with NFPA rules, reviews each NITMAM to determine whether the intended motion is a proper motion. Proposed NFPA Standards will be presented for action at the NFPA Technical Meeting only when an Amending Motion (NITMAM) has been certified by the Motions Committee as a proper amending motion. Standards that receive no motions will not be presented at the meeting and instead will be forwarded directly to the NFPA Standards Council for action on issuance. More about the standards development process including NITMAM.
Additional information on NITMAMs and authorized submitters can be found in Section 4.5 of the Regulations Governing the Development of NFPA Standards.
Fall 2015 Revision Cycle
Annual 2015 Revision Cycle
- Final Results: Floor Action on Certified Amending Motions on Standards from the 2015 NFPA Technical Meeting (Tech Session)
- May 1, 2015: The Report of the Motions Committee (5/22/2015 - Updated with editorial corrections) addresses eight Annual 2015 Standards with Certified Amending Motions for consideration at the 2015 NFPA Technical Meeting: NFPA 13, NFPA 13R, NFPA 24, NFPA 72, NFPA 652, NFPA 1710, NFPA 1901, and NFPA 1917. This report also addresses three Standards with Certified Amending Motions from the Fall 2014 NFPA Technical Meeting: NFPA 11, NFPA 33, and NFPA 520; identifies the list of Consent Standards, and includes a list of NITMAMs that were not certified.
- March 6, 2015: Deadline for Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM) on Standards in the Annual 2015 revision cycle.
Fall 2014 Revision Cycle
- October 17, 2014: The Report of the Motions Committee (Updated: 10/20/2014) addresses three Fall 2014 Standards with Certified Amending Motions for consideration at the 2015 NFPA Technical Meeting: NFPA 11, NFPA 33, and NFPA 520; identifies the list of Consent Standards, and includes a list of NITMAMs that were not certified.
- August 22, 2014: Deadline for Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM) on Standards in the Fall 2014 revision cycle.
NITMAM Instructions and Forms
- NFPA accepts NITMAMs via our online electronic submission system. To use the electronic submission system:
- Choose a document from the list of NFPA codes and standards or use the search feature in the upper right gray box.
- Once you are on the document page, select the "Next edition" tab and choose the link "Second Draft Report".
- You will be asked to sign-in or create a free online account with NFPA before using this system.
- Once on the Second Draft Report page, follow the online instructions (104 KB) to submit your NITMAM.
- NITMAM form (word) (34 KB)
Previous Motions Committee Reports, Transcripts, and Final Results