Standards Council Selection Process
Adopted by the NFPA Board of Directors January 1991 (Amended November 2003)
1. The Regulations Governing Committee Projects states the following relative to the selection of individuals for the Standards Council:
“2.1 General. In accordance with Article 8 of the Bylaws, there shall be appointed by the Board of Directors a Standards Council to provide for the administration of NFPA standards development process, including the establishment, appointment, and administration of Technical Committees and Technical Correlating Committees.
2.4 Member Requirements. The Standards Council membership shall consist of twelve Regular Members and a Chair. Members shall be familiar with the technical and standards development functions of the Association and shall be selected from a broad range of appropriate interests. Members of the Council shall be members of the Association, and shall not be members of the Board of Directors.”
2. In order to assist the Board of Directors in selecting qualified individuals, the Standards Council has established the following guidelines regarding the makeup of the Council.
2.1 Council members shall be familiar with the technical and standards development functions of the Association. Council members must have served on one or more NFPA Technical Committees for a period of time sufficient to be familiar with the Regulations Governing Committee Projects and the standards adoption process.
2.2 Council members shall be selected from a broad range of appropriate interests. Although not a prerequisite for Council members or a limitation to Council membership, to the extent possible, an attempt is made to have one representative from each of the following interest categories on the Council:
- Fire Equipment Manufacturing/Distribution.
- Health Care
- Building Official
- Fire Marshal
- Fed/State/Local Government
- Fire Service
- Trade/Professional Associations
2.3 While not mandatory, an attempt is also made to have representation from the nine classifications used to identify the principal interest of members on NFPA committees. These classifications are as follows:
- Special Expert
2.4 It is also desirable to have representation on the Council from certain major technical committees such as the National Electrical Code, Building Construction and Safety Code, Life Safety Code, Health Care Facilities, and Automatic Sprinklers.
2.5 Finally, the geographic location of individuals is taken into consideration and an attempt is made to have broad representation on the Council.
2.6. The primary consideration for membership on the Council is an individual with a personal and professional reputation of high integrity and a demonstrated commitment to the principles of due process, fairness, and the validity of the consensus standards procedures.
3. The Chair of the Standards Council reviews potential candidates for Council membership with Council members based on the above guidelines and recommends one or more candidates for each vacancy to the President. The President reviews the Council’s recommendations with the Council Secretary, the Chair, First Vice Chair, and Second Vice Chair of the Board prior to submitting final recommendations to the Board for approval.
4. If the status of a Standards Council member changes, including change of employment, organizational affiliation or funding source, the Council member must notify the Council Chair or Secretary immediately. The change in status including any change in interest category represented will be considered by the Council in determining whether or not there is a need to recommend a replacement for the member.
5. All nominations for Council membership will be submitted in written form on the form (PDF, 8 KB) entitled: “Nomination for Standards Council Members”, and returned to the Council Secretary prior to June 15 for consideration by the Council at the August Council meeting.