In a fire, seconds count. Seconds can mean the difference between residents of our community escaping safely from a fire or having their lives end in tragedy.
That’s why this year’s Fire Prevention Week theme: “Every Second Counts: Plan 2 Ways Out!” is so important. It reinforces why everyone needs to have an escape plan. Here’s this year’s key campaign messages:
We’ve developed a series of Sparky video clips that reinforce important home escape planning and practice messages. Feel free to use the clips to promote this year’s campaign on social media, during classroom visits, or however they best serves your needs. In the video above, Sparky says know two ways out of every room. See all the videos.
- Draw a map of your home by using our grid in English (PDF) or Spanish (PDF) with all members of your household, marking two exits from each room and a path to the outside from each exit.
- Practice your home fire drill twice a year. Conduct one at night and one during the day with everyone in your home, and practice using different ways out.
- Teach children how to escape on their own in case you can’t help them.
- Make sure the number of your home is clearly marked and easy for the fire department to find.
- Close doors behind you as you leave – this may slow the spread of smoke, heat, and fire.
- Once you get outside, stay outside. Never go back inside a burning building.
Teach Fire Prevention Week
Introduce Fire Prevention Week to students, your community, or areas with high-risk populations. NFPA has several free downloads for you to use. See all of NFPA's FPW teaching materials.