By participating in this Contest, entrants accept and agree to be bound by the following Official Rules:
1. NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER THIS CONTEST. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. THE ODDS OF WINNING A CONTEST PRIZE DEPENDS ON THE NUMBER OF ELIGIBLE ENTRIES RECEIVED.
2. SPONSOR & ADMINISTRATOR. The NFPA NEC Challenge (the "Contest") is sponsored and administered by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) (the "Sponsor"), One Batterymarch Park, Quincy, MA 02169-7471.
3. ELIGIBILITY. Eligibility for the Contest is open to natural persons who are legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia, who are 18 years of age and older. Employees, directors and officers of the Sponsor (including its affiliates and advertising agencies), and their immediate families (spouse, parents, children, siblings, and their respective spouses) and household members are not eligible to enter. This Contest is void where prohibited.
4. THE CONTEST PERIOD. The Contest begins at 9:30:00 AM Pacific Time (PST) on September 26, 2013 and ends 11:29:59 AM PST on September 27, 2013 (the "Contest Period").
5. HOW TO ENTER. To enter the Contest, you must be eligible and you must correctly answer at least one question about the National Electric Code® in accordance with the Official Rules. Questions will be available for attendees of the IEC Expo in Portland, Oregon on September 26 and 27, 2013 ("Attendees") and online through the NFPA Twitter feed. (In order to answer a question online, you must establish a Twitter account if you do not already have one.) One winner will be selected through a random drawing from all eligible entries received onsite at the IEC Expo and via Twitter, combined. One winner will be the Attendee who correctly answers the greatest number of questions about the NEC at the IEC Expo as described below.
Any participant in the Contest may enter both onsite and online.
To enter the drawing onsite, eligible Attendees must visit the NFPA booth and correctly answer a question about the NEC from among a set of pre-established questions and answers. Attendees are limited to one onsite entry per day during the Contest Period and will be required to provide their name and contact email and/or phone number.
To enter the drawing online, eligible participants must have a Twitter account and must correctly answer a question about the NEC posted on the NFPA Twitter feed. Questions will be provided several times each day during the Contest Period on the NFPA Twitter profile at www.twitter.com\nfpa. Online participants will have one hour to answer the posted question. Online participants are limited to one online entry per day during the Contest Period and will be required to provide their name and contact email and/or phone number.
Any Attendee who correctly answers the first question about the NEC may elect to answered additional questions from the pre-established set of questions and answers, continuing until the Attendee answers a question incorrectly or elects to stop answering questions, or answers all of the pre-established questions. These Attendees will accumulate one point per correct answer. The names and scores of the five Attendees with the highest point accumulation will be displayed in the NFPA booth at the IEC Expo.
Any attempt by an individual to use automated entry devices or programs, or to enter or interfere with the Contest through any other unauthorized means is prohibited and will result in the voiding of any associated entries and the individual’s disqualification from and ineligibility for participation in the Contest. Entries not complying with these Official Rules are subject to disqualification, at the Sponsor’s sole discretion. Sponsor’s decisions are final on all matters relating to this Contest.
6. WINNER SELECTION. There will be a total of two (2) winners identified at the end of the Contest Period.
There will be a total of two (2) winners identified at the end of the Contest Period.
Onsite Drawing: At the conclusion of the IEC Expo, the name of one (1) winner will be drawn at random from among all eligible entries received at the Trade Show booth and online through Twitter.
Leaderboard: At the conclusion of the IEC Expo, the Attendee with the highest score will be the Leaderboard winner. In the event of a tie of two or more Attendees accurately answering the same number of questions, the name of the winning Attendee will be drawn randomly from among the names of all Attendees answering the same number of questions accurately.
Winners do not have to be present at the conclusion of the IEC Expo to win.
7. PRIZES. Each of the two winners will receive one prize consisting of one (1) Apple iPad, with an approximate retail value of $499 and, when it is released, one (1) print copy of the 2014 edition of the NEC with an approximate retail value of $90. Prizes are awarded "as is" and any and all guarantees and warranties on merchandise prize are subject to the manufacturer’s terms and conditions, and winner agrees to look solely to such manufacturers for any such warranty or guarantee claim. All taxes and any other costs not specifically stated within these Official Rules are the sole responsibility of the winner. Prizes may not be transferred, substituted or redeemed for cash, except at the Sponsor’s sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value if advertised prize is unavailable at the time the prize is awarded.
iPad and Apple are trademarks of Apple, Inc. or its affiliates. The iPad devices awarded as prizes under this Contest are given away by and on behalf of the Sponsor, NFPA. Apple is neither a sponsor of nor affiliated with this Contest or the NFPA and has neither endorsed nor approved of this Contest.
8. HOW TO CLAIM YOUR PRIZE. Winners are subject to verification of identity and eligibility prior to the award of the prize. Winners will be notified at the email address provided or by telephone on or about October 1, 2013. Within ten (10) days of the date that notification is sent, the winner must, by return email or other means directed by the Sponsor, provide a response indicating his or her acceptance of the prize and providing the Sponsor with confirmation of the winner’s identity, eligibility and agreement with the terms and conditions contained in these Official Rules. Winners who do not provide a timely and full response will forfeit the prize. In addition, the prize will be forfeited if: the winner is found to be ineligible or not in compliance with these Official Rules; the winner declines to accept the prize; the Sponsor is unable to contact the winner through the provided email address or by telephone with information provided by the winner; or a prize notification or prize is returned as undeliverable. Where a prize has been forfeited, the prize may, at the Sponsor’s sole discretion, be awarded to an alternate winner drawn at random from among the remaining entries in the particular category.
Prizes will be shipped to verified winners at the Sponsor’s expense in the 50 United States. Unless the winner makes other arrangements acceptable to the Sponsor, prizes will be shipped to the verified winner's address as provided by the winner. Winners shall allow 6-8 weeks for verification and shipment of their prize. The print copy of the 2014 edition of the NEC will be shipped within 4 weeks of it becoming generally available. Sponsor shall not be held responsible for any delays in awarding prizes for any reason outside of its control. All prizes will be awarded, provided they are properly claimed.
9. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION. By entering the Contest, entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and to accept and abide by all decisions of the Sponsor with regard to the interpretation and implementation of the Official Rules and of the Contest. By accepting a prize, each winner consents to the use of his/her names, city and state of residence, voice, and statements relating to the Contest or Sponsor, and photographs or other likenesses, without further compensation, notification or permission in any publicity or advertising carried out by Sponsor or any related entities in any and all media now known or hereinafter developed without territorial or time limitation, except where prohibited by law.
By entering the Contest, entrants represent and warrant that they meet all eligibility requirements for and comply with the Official Rules of the Contest. Entrants acknowledge that nothing herein shall constitute an employment, joint venture, or partnership relationship between entrant and Sponsor. In no way is an entrant to be construed as the agent or to be acting as the agent of Sponsor in any respect.
10. RELEASE AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. BY ENTERING THE CONTEST, ENTRANTS AGREE TO RELEASE, INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HARMLESS SPONSOR, AND ITS EMPLOYEES, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, REPRESENTATIVES, AGENTS, EMPLOYEES AND AFFILIATES, (COLLECTIVELY, THE "RELEASED PARTIES") FROM ANY CLAIMS, ACTIONS, INJURY, LOSS OR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH, RESULTING FROM PARTICIPATING IN THE CONTEST OR FROM THE ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, OR USE OR MISUSE OF ANY PRIZE AWARDED. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY IS A COMPREHENSIVE LIMITATION OF LIABILITY THAT APPLIES TO ALL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING (WITHOUT LIMITATION) COMPENSATORY, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES; LOSS OF DATA, INCOME, OR PROFIT; LOSS OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY; AND CLAIMS OF THIRD PARTIES. ELIGIBLE PARTICIPANTS AGREE THAT RELEASED PARTIES HAVE NOT MADE NOR ARE IN ANY MANNER RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY WARRANTY, REPRESENTATION, OR GUARANTEE, STATUTORY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, TITLE, AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE), IN FACT OR IN LAW, RELATIVE TO THE CONTEST OR THE PRIZE AWARDED. WITHOUT LIMITING THE GENERALITY OF THE FOREGOING, THE RELEASED PARTIES DO NOT MAKE ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS WITH RESPECT TO ANY PROMOTIONAL WEB SITE AND SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR THE CONSEQUENCES OF ANY INTERRUPTIONS OR ERRORS RELATED THERETO.
The Released Parties are not responsible for late, incomplete, inaccurate submissions, or problems of any kind, whether mechanical, human or electronic. The Released Parties are not responsible for technical, hardware or software malfunctions, telephone failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, inability to access a web site, inability to submit an entry, or fraud, incomplete, garbled, or delayed computer transmissions or inaccurate transcription of entry information, whether caused by Sponsor, users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest or by any technical or human error which may occur in the processing of submissions which may damage a user’s system or limit an eligible participant’s ability to participate in the Contest. The Released Parties are not responsible for late, incomplete, or damaged entries. Entry materials that have been tampered with or altered are void. Should any portion of the Contest be, in Sponsor’s sole opinion, compromised by virus, worms, bugs, non-authorized human intervention or other causes which, in the sole opinion of the Sponsor, corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper play, or submission of entries, or should the Contest be unable to run as planned for any other reason, Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to terminate the Contest and, if terminated, at its discretion, select the potential winner[s] in a random drawing from among all eligible, non-suspect entries received prior to action taken.
11. APPLICABLE LAWS AND JURISDICTION. This Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Issues concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules and of the rights and responsibilities of the participants in and Sponsor of the Contest shall be governed by the laws of the State of Massachusetts, without regard to any principles of conflict of laws. All disputes arising out of or in connection with this Contest shall be resolved individually, and without resort to class action, exclusively by the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts or the appropriate Massachusetts state court for the City of Quincy, Norfolk County, and participants in the Program consent to the jurisdiction of such courts with respect to all such disputes. To the extent permitted by applicable law, all judgments or awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket damages (excluding attorneys’ fees) associated with participation in this Contest and shall not include any indirect, punitive, incidental and/or consequential damages.