April 6, 2010
–The National Fire Protection Association
(NFPA) offers reports and resources to media covering the West Virginia mine explosion.
Statistics, materials and safety tips available at NFPA’s Web site www.nfpa.org/pressroom include:
- Coal Mine Fires and Explosions with Three or More Deaths, 1985-2009
- Documented mine disasters with five or more deaths
- 10 deadliest U.S. mining fires and explosions
- Five deadliest U.S. coal mine disasters since 1940
- NFPA codes, standards, and recommended practices
NFPA has been a worldwide leader in providing fire, electrical, building, and life safety to the public since 1896. The mission of the international nonprofit organization is to reduce the worldwide burden of fire and other hazards on the quality of life by providing and advocating consensus codes and standards, research, training, and education.
Subscribe to NFPA RSS News feeds
Contact: Lorraine Carli, P ublic Affairs Office: +1 617 984-7275