Under NFPA rules, anyone wishing to make an allowable amending motion at an NFPA Technical Meeting must declare their intentions by filing, within the published deadline, a Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM). NITMAMs submitted on Public Comments (PC) can only be submitted by the original submitter of the PC or their duly authorized Designated Representative. NITMAMs can be made by anyone if the NITMAM is on a Committee Comment, Second Revision, Second Correlating Revision, or in the case of a new standard, a NITMAM to Return the Entire NFPA Standard.
The Motions Committee of the NFPA Standards Council, in accordance with NFPA rules, reviews each NITMAM to determine whether the intended motion is a proper motion. Proposed NFPA Standards will be presented for action at the NFPA Technical Meeting only when an Amending Motion (NITMAM) has been certified by the Motions Committee as a proper amending motion. Standards that receive no motions will not be presented at the meeting and instead will be forwarded directly to the NFPA Standards Council for action on issuance. More about the standards development process including NITMAM.
Additional information on NITMAMs and authorized submitters can be found in Section 4.5 of the Regulations Governing the Development of NFPA Standards.
Annual 2014 Revision Cycle
- April 4, 2014: The Report of the Motions Committee addresses eight documents with Certified Amending Motions for consideration at the 2014 NFPA Technical Meeting: NFPA 54, NFPA 59, NFPA 70E, NFPA 99, NFPA 101, NFPA 703, NFPA 720, and NFPA 5000. This report also addresses four documents with Certified Amending Motions from the Fall 2013 revision cycle: NFPA 37, NFPA 731, NFPA 750, and NFPA 1192; identifies the list of Consent Documents and includes a list of NITMAMs that were not certified.
- February 7, 2014: Deadline for Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM) on documents in the Annual 2014 revision cycle.
Fall 2013 Revision Cycle
NITMAM Instructions and Forms
- NFPA accepts NITIMAMs via our online electronic submission system. To use the electronic submission system:
- Choose a document from the list of NFPA codes and standards or use the search feature in the upper right gray box.
- Once you are on the document page, select the "Next edition" tab and choose the link "Second Draft Report".
- You will be asked to sign-in or create a free online account with NFPA before using this system.
- Once on the Second Draft Report page, follow the online instructions (104 KB) to submit your NITMAM.
- NITMAM form (word) (34 KB)
Previous Motions Committee Reports, Transcripts, and Final Results