Under NFPA rules, anyone wishing to make an allowable amending motion at an NFPA Technical Meeting must declare their intentions by filing, within the published deadline, a Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM). NITMAMs submitted on Public Comments (PC) can only be submitted by the original submitter of the PC or their duly authorized Designated Representative. NITMAMs can be made by anyone if the NITMAM is on a Committee Comment, Second Revision, Second Correlating Revision, or in the case of a new standard, a NITMAM to Return the Entire NFPA Standard.
The Motions Committee of the NFPA Standards Council, in accordance with NFPA rules, reviews each NITMAM to determine whether the intended motion is a proper motion. Proposed NFPA Standards will be presented for action at the NFPA Technical Meeting only when an Amending Motion (NITMAM) has been certified by the Motions Committee as a proper amending motion. Standards that receive no motions will not be presented at the meeting and instead will be forwarded directly to the NFPA Standards Council for action on issuance. More about the standards development process including NITMAM.
Additional information on NITMAMs and authorized submitters can be found in Section 4.5 of the Regulations Governing the Development of NFPA Standards.
Annual 2016 Revision Cycle
Fall 2015 Revision Cycle
- April 29, 2016: Deadline for Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM) on NFPA 70, National Electrical Code®.
- February 19, 2016: Deadline for Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM) on Standards in the Annual 2016 revision cycle.
- October 16, 2015: The Report of the Motions Committee addresses one Fall 2015 Standard with Certified Amending Motions for consideration at the 2016 NFPA Technical Meeting: NFPA 75; identifies the list of Consent Standards, and includes a list of NITMAMs that were not certified.
- August 21, 2015: Deadline for Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM) on Standards in the Fall 2015 revision cycle. Please note: NFPA 211 has a revised NITMAM closing date of October 3, 2015
NITMAM Instructions and Forms
- NFPA accepts NITMAMs via our online electronic submission system. To use the electronic submission system:
- Choose a document from the list of NFPA codes and standards or use the search feature in the upper right gray box.
- Once you are on the document page, select the "Next edition" tab and choose the link "Second Draft Report".
- You will be asked to sign-in or create a free online account with NFPA before using this system.
- Once on the Second Draft Report page, follow the online instructions (104 KB) to submit your NITMAM.
- NITMAM form (word) (34 KB)
Previous Motions Committee Reports, Transcripts, and Final Results