Under NFPA rules, anyone wishing to make an allowable amending motion at an NFPA Technical Meeting must declare their intentions by filing, within the published deadline, a Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM). NITMAMs submitted on Public Comments (PC) can only be submitted by the original submitter of the PC or their duly authorized Designated Representative. NITMAMs can be made by anyone if the NITMAM is on a Committee Comment, Second Revision, Second Correlating Revision, or in the case of a new standard, a NITMAM to Return the Entire NFPA Standard.
The Motions Committee of the NFPA Standards Council, in accordance with NFPA rules, reviews each NITMAM to determine whether the intended motion is a proper motion. Proposed NFPA Standards will be presented for action at the NFPA Technical Meeting only when an Amending Motion (NITMAM) has been certified by the Motions Committee as a proper amending motion. Standards that receive no motions will not be presented at the meeting and instead will be forwarded directly to the NFPA Standards Council for action on issuance. More about the standards development process including NITMAM.
Additional information on NITMAMs and authorized submitters can be found in Section 4.5 of the Regulations Governing the Development of NFPA Standards.
Annual 2017 revision cycle
Fall 2016 revision cycle
- April 18, 2017: The Report of the Motions Committee addresses 14 Annual 2017 Standards with Certified Amending Motions for consideration at the 2017 NFPA Technical Meeting: NFPA 1, NFPA 30, NFPA 30A, NFPA 37, NFPA 54, NFPA 59, NFPA 70E, NFPA 99, NFPA 101, NFPA 703, NFPA 1144, NFPA 1951, NFPA 2112, NFPA 5000; a list of NITMAMs that were not certified or were withdrawn; and identifies the list of Consent Standards.
- February 20, 2017: Deadline for Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM) on Standards in the Annual 2017 revision cycle.
Instructions for submitting a NITMAM
- NFPA accepts NITMAMs via our online submission system. To use the online submission system:
- Choose a document from the List of NFPA codes & standards or use the search feature.
- Once you are on the document page, select the "Next edition" tab and choose the link "Second Draft Report".
- You will be asked to sign-in or create a free online account with NFPA before using this system.
- Once on the Second Draft Report page, follow the online instructions to submit your NITMAM.
Previous Motions Committee Reports, Transcripts, and Final Results