The Research Foundation’s mission is to plan, manage and communicate research is support of the NFPA mission. The NFPA mission is to reduce the worldwide burden of fire and other hazards on the quality of life by providing and advocating consensus codes and standards, research, training, and education.
Foundation operating principles
- Promote the engagement, proliferation and diversity of credible research.
- Build broad research capabilities with a large network of contributors and collaborators
- Communicate and support the dissemination of research results, especially with practitioners.
- Facilitate research projects that have at least one of the following characteristics:
- Be of focused interest to the broad safety community,
- Have a clear conceptual relationship to a specific model code or standard,
- Be of focused interest to a SDO (standards developing organization) technical committee or similar constituency group,
- Be directly related to an out-reach or advocacy issue, or
- Not involve proprietary product development.