In a disaster, local officials and relief workers cannot reach everyone immediately. Help may not arrive for hours or days. You need to be prepared ahead of time because you won't have time to shop or search for the supplies you will need when a disaster strikes.
Have children create their personal pack. Have them include things like their favorite book or stuffed animal. These familiar things will help keep them comfortable during an emergency.
Family Disaster Supplies Kit
Disasters can happen anywhere and at any time. By taking the time to create a family disaster supplies kit, your family will be prepared in the event of a disaster. The kit also helps children feel more secure knowing it is there in case of an emergency.
The supplies can be kept in a plastic tub, small suitcase, or other container. Some things to include:
- First aid kit and first aid manual
- Flash light and extra batteries
- Battery-operated radio
- Supply of prescription medications
- Credit cards and cash
- Identification for each family member
- An extra set of car keys
- Matches in a waterproof container
- Signal flare
- Phone numbers and a map identifying safe places to go
- Special needs items such as diapers, formula, hearing aids, spare eyeglasses or items for other physical needs
- Three gallons of water per person
- Three-day supply of nonperishable food
- Kitchen tools (mechanical can openers, utensils...)
- Complete change of clothes for each family member
- Tools and other accessories
- Sanitation and other personal hygiene products such as toilet paper, soap, toothpaste, and toothbrushes
- Entertainment such as games, books, compact discs and tapes with battery-operated players.