Following the successful creation of the Certified Fire Inspector I (CFI-I) certification program in 1998, further requests by local entities, state agencies, and national organizations prompted the NFPA to develop the Certified Fire Inspector II (CFI-II) certification program.
Like the CFI-I, the CFI-II is based on the NFPA 1031, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner. In addition to the codes covered in CFI-I, the CFI-II program expands the fire inspector certification track to include the NFPA 24 and NFPA 220 standards.
Note: Entry into the CFI-II certification program requires that you first attain the CFI-I certification.
Watch a brief video from CFI-II certification holder, Jennifer McWhorter.
- Recognize and provide evidence of competence as related to NFPA 1031, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner
- Enhance professionalism
- Ensure proficiency in the use of codes and standards
- Promote professional development
- Ensure a uniform, fair process for certification that is accessible to everyone
- Be recognized by your colleagues as an expert
- Gain confidence in your abilities
- Improve your job performance
- Position yourself for career advancement
- Certification holders also receive a CFI-II certificate, wallet card and lapel pin that further highlights their accomplishment
IMPORTANT: NFPA wants to partner with you to protect your personal information – NEVER INCLUDE PERSONAL AND/OR CREDIT CARD PAYMENT INFORMATION IN THE BODY OF ANY EMAIL – If you wish to email your application or other personal documentation, it must be placed within an attached document, and you must use the NFPA secure email server. Once you access this server and create your NFPA secure email account, you should select OTHER from the "To" pull-down list, and then enter firstname.lastname@example.org in the address box. Complete the email process by attaching your personal documentation and clicking "Send." Remember your new NFPA secure email account information for future secure communications with NFPA.
The latest version of the CFI-II exam is based on NFPA 1031, 2014 edition, Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner.
It is the candidate’s responsibility to obtain materials needed for study purposes and to have present during the examination. The following list contains the resources to be used in preparing for and taking the examination. All items in the examination are compatible with both code sets. Please verify with your jurisdiction or certification partnership agency for the proper set.
2012 NFPA Code Set
2015 NFPA Code Set