The NFPA Certified Fire Inspector I (CFI-I) certification program was created in response to repeated requests by local entities, state agencies, and national organizations for certification programs founded on the NFPA 1031, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner
, and other applicable NFPA codes and standards. These requests suggested that NFPA be the main catalyst and ultimate certifying body for such programs.
In late 1996, an independent organization conducted research and validated this need. The current Certified Fire Inspector I (CFI-I) certification program has been operational since 1998.
- Recognize and provide evidence of competence as related to NFPA 1031, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner
- Enhance professionalism
- Ensure proficiency in the use of codes and standards
- Promote professional development
- Ensure a uniform, fair process for certification that is accessible to everyone
In attaining your CFI-I Certification, you will:
- Feel a renewed sense of pride
- Be recognized by your colleagues as an expert
- Gain confidence in your abilities
- Improve your job performance
- Position yourself for career advancement
- Certificate holders also receive a CFI-I certificate, wallet card and lapel pin that further highlights their accomplishment
NFPA Certification Department now offers the Certified Fire Inspector I examination in a computer-based format
The NFPA Certification Department has partnered with Schroeder Measurement Technologies (SMT) to increase the geographic availability of our Certified Fire Inspector I certification examinations. Through its sister company, ISO-Quality Testing (IQT), SMT maintains a testing center network of carefully selected partners, including college/university testing centers and computer-related businesses to provide testing services in a secure, proctored environment. Testing centers are available in over 300 cities in 19 countries. Details on the testing center locations are available on IQT’s website.
Fire Inspector I materials
Fire Inspector I certification program – Exam updated 2009
The latest version of the CFI-I exam is based on NFPA 1031, 2009 edition, Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner.
In addition to NFPA 1031, the CFI-I program is also based on the following code editions: