The NFPA Certified Fire Inspector I (CFI-I) certification program was created in response to repeated requests by local entities, state agencies, and national organizations for certification programs founded on the NFPA 1031, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner
, and other applicable NFPA codes and standards. These requests suggested that NFPA be the main catalyst and ultimate certifying body for such programs.
In late 1996, an independent organization conducted research and validated this need. The current Certified Fire Inspector I (CFI-I) certification program has been operational since 1998.
- Recognize and provide evidence of competence as related to NFPA 1031, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner
- Enhance professionalism
- Ensure proficiency in the use of codes and standards
- Promote professional development
- Ensure a uniform, fair process for certification that is accessible to everyone
Test Center Web site
To locate a computer based testing center near you, visit the test center Web site
Fire Inspector I materials
- CFI-I program overview (PDF, 158 KB)
- Candidate handbook (PDF, 1 MB)
- Application (PDF, 40 KB)
- Retest application (PDF, 293 KB)
- Practicum exercises (PDF, 548 KB)
- Reference materials (PDF, 20 KB)
Partner list (PDF, 246 KB)
Transfer application (PDF, 69 KB)
- 3-year recertification form (PDF, 268 KB)
Exam scheduling form (PDF, 207 KB)
Exam weighted criteria (PDF, 104 KB)
NFPA Pro Board-related transfer questions (PDF, 121 KB)
The latest version of the CFI-I exam is based on NFPA 1031, 2014 edition, Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner.
It is the candidate’s responsibility to obtain materials needed for study purposes and to have present during the examination. The following list contains the resources to be used in preparing for and taking the examination. All items in the examination are compatible with both code sets. Please verify with your jurisdiction or certification partnership agency for the proper set.
2009 NFPA Code Set
2012 NFPA Code Set
These NFPA codes and standards have been conveniently packaged into reference sets and are available for people registering for the CFI-1 exam at a special price, only through the NFPA Certification Department. Refer to the CFI-I application form (PDF, 40 KB) (appendix I) to order these references. Please be sure to indicate which set you would like on your order form.