Following the successful creation of the Certified Fire Inspector I (CFI-I) certification program in 1998, further requests by local entities, state agencies, and national organizations prompted the NFPA to develop the Certified Fire Inspector II (CFI-II) certification program.
Like the CFI-I, the CFI-II is based on the NFPA 1031, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner. In addition to the codes covered in CFI-I, the CFI-II program expands the fire inspector certification track to include the NFPA 24 and NFPA 220 codes.
Note: Entry into the CFI-II certification program requires that you first attain the CFI-I certification.
- Enhance professionalism
- Recognize and provide evidence of competence as related to NFPA 1031, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner
- Ensure proficiency in the use of codes and standards
- Promote professional development
- Ensure a uniform, fair process for certification that is accessible to everyone
- Certification by NFPA, the most recognized international organization in fire service
- International recognition
- CFI-II certificate
- CFI-II wallet card
- CFI-II lapel pin
Certified Fire Inspector II certification program – Exam updated in 2009
The latest version of the CFI-II exam is based on NFPA 1031, 2009 edition, Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner.
In addition to NFPA 1031, the CFI-II program is also based on the following code editions: