It is the particular mission of the NFPA Certified Fire Plan Examiner (CFPE) program to promote professionalism within the fire plan examiner field-of-practice through a widely accepted, recognized, appreciated, and practical certification program.
Like the CFI-I and CFI-II certification programs, the CFPE is based on the NFPA 1031, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner. In addition to the NFPA 1031, the CFPE certification program also includes NFPA codes related directly to the plan examiner’s field-of-practice.
- Recognize and provide evidence of competence as related to NFPA 1031, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner
- Enhance professionalism
- Ensure proficiency in the use of codes and standards
- Promote professional development
- Ensure a uniform, fair process for certification that is accessible to everyone
- CFPE program overview (PDF, 26 KB)
- Candidate handbook (PDF, 2 MB)
- Application (PDF, 148 KB)
- Retest application (PDF, 293 KB)
- Reference materials (PDF, 20 KB)
- Partner list (PDF, 246 KB)
Transfer application (PDF, 69 KB)
- 3-year recertification form (PDF, 268 KB)
Exam scheduling form (PDF, 217 KB)
Exam weighted criteria (PDF, 99 KB)
NFPA Pro Board-related transfer questions (PDF, 121 KB)
The Fire Plan Examiner exam is based on NFPA 1031, 2014 edition, Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner.
It is the candidate’s responsibility to obtain materials needed for study purposes and to have present during the examination. The following list contains the resources to be used in preparing for and taking the examination. All items in the examination are compatible with both code sets. Please verify with your jurisdiction or certification partnership agency for the proper set.
2009 NFPA Code Set
2012 NFPA Code Set
These NFPA codes and standards have been conveniently packaged into reference sets and are available for people registering for the CFPE exam at a special price, only through the NFPA Certification Department. Refer to the CFPE application form (PDF, 40 KB) to order these references. Please be sure to indicate which set you would like on your order form.