The purpose of the CFPS examination is to provide a basis for determining the competency of candidates seeking the Certified Fire Protection Specialist (CFPS) designation. Current basis for the examination is the NFPA Fire Protection Handbook, 20th edition
Download a brochure for CFPS (PDF, 968 KB)
To be eligible to take the CFPS examination, candidates must demonstrate on the CFPS application that they meet one of the following criteria:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, technology, or other related discipline from an accredited college or university, plus two years of verifiable work experience dedicated to curtailing fire loss, both physical and financial. Copy of college diploma or transcript AND Resume are required.
- Associate's degree in engineering, technology or other related discipline from an accredited college or university, plus four years of verifiable work experience dedicated to curtailing fire loss, both physical and financial.
- High school diploma + 6 years of verifiable work experience dedicated to curtailing fire loss, both physical and financial.
The three-hour open book CFPS examination is comprised of 100 multiple-choice questions. The examination is based on a job analysis of fire protection specialists. The examination questions are referenced in the NFPA Fire Protection Handbook. See sample exam questions. Review the Examination Content Area Weighting in the Applicant & Certificate Holders Handbook, pages 14, 15, 16. (PDF, 436 KB)
Important information regarding tabbing the Fire Protection Handbook
The Fire Protection Handbook may be tabbed before the exam with commercial permanent adhesive type tabs similar to those provided with the Fire Protection Handbook. HOWEVER, Post-it type notes and flags or other type of easily moveable tabs or physical markers (including paper clips) are NOT permitted at any time.
- To locate a computer based testing center near you, visit the test center web site.
- The CFPS examination is available in paper and pencil format. The CFPS Exam dates listed above on the right hand side provide those locations where a paper and pencil format is used. Candidates who have been issued a user ID and password in order to register for a computer based exam and experience difficulty in registering should contact the testing vendor Iso Quality Testing customer support toll free at +1 866 773-1114.