By participating in this Contest, entrants accept and agree to be bound by the following Official Rules:
1. NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER THIS CONTEST. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. THE ODDS OF WINNING A CONTEST PRIZE DEPEND ON THE NUMBER OF ELIGIBLE ENTRIES RECEIVED.
2. SPONSOR & ADMINISTRATOR. The NFPA National Anthem Singer Contest (the Contest) is sponsored and administered by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA or the Sponsor), One Batterymarch Park, Quincy, MA 02169-7471.
3. ELIGIBILITY. Eligibility for the Contest is open to natural persons who are legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia and who are 21 years of age and older. Entries (video recording, described below) may be sung by an individual Participant or a group of no more than five (5) individual Participants however each Participant must meet all eligibility criteria. Employees, directors and officers of the Sponsor (including its affiliates and advertising agencies and contest administrators, including SnapApp and Lehrhoff Productions, Inc.), and their immediate families (spouse, parents, children, siblings, and their respective spouses) and household members are not eligible to enter. This Contest is void where prohibited.
4. THE CONTEST PERIOD. The Contest begins on March 1, 2014 and the winner will be announced on or about April 9, 2014. The period for entering the Contest begins at 8:00:00 AM Eastern Time (ET) on March 1, 2014 and ends 11:59:59 PM ET on March 23, 2014 (the "Contest Entry Period").
5. HOW TO ENTER. To enter the Contest, Participants must be eligible, must comply with these Official Rules, and must submit an Entry (video recording, see below) and Entry Form during the Contest Entry Period. To enter, Participants must create a video recording of themselves, alone or with a group totaling no more than five (5) individuals, singing the first verse of the American National Anthem a cappella (without musical accompaniment). (The term Participant as used in these Official Rules refers to each individual singer in an Entry.) In addition, the video recording (Entry) must include a brief spoken statement by the Participant (or a single Participant for a group Entry) describing the interest the Participant or Participants have in NFPA’s mission. In the alternative, the statement describing the Participant(s) interest in NFPA’s mission may be submitted in writing via email sent to firstname.lastname@example.org during the Contest Entry Period and indicating "National Anthem Contest" in the subject line. The Entry (including the singing of the National Anthem and the spoken statement) must be no more than five (5) minutes in length. Participants must be capable of being and willing to be in Las Vegas, Nevada on June 8 – 9, 2014 in order to have the opportunity to sing the same rendition of the National Anthem at NFPA’s Conference & Expo on June 9, 2014. (Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, elect to play the video recording submitted as the Entry in place of a live performance at the NFPA Conference & Expo.) The Entry and completed Entry Form must be uploaded to SnapApp either through the NFPA website at: www.nfpa.org, the landing page created for the Contest at: www.nfpa.org/anthem or through the contest tab on NFPA’s Facebook page during the Contest Entry Period. Once an Entry is uploaded, it cannot be modified, changed or altered in any way for any reason. Participants may submit only a single Entry. The Entry Form must include the name of all Participants and the telephone number and email address of a single Participant who will be the point of contact. Participants must be able and available to travel to Las Vegas, Nevada and to be in Las Vegas from noon local time on June 8, 2014 through 3 pm local time June 9, 2014 to have the opportunity to sing the American National Anthem at the NFPA Conference & Expo for approximately 3000 attendees. Participants unable to be at the NFPA Conference & Expo at theses times and on these dates for any reason may be disqualified in Sponsor’s sole discretion. Once entered in the Contest, it is solely the responsibility of each Participant to ensure the contact information we have for you is current. Sponsor is not responsible for any failure to contact you if the contact information is not current.
6. WINNER SELECTION. All eligible entries will be preliminarily judged by NFPA and Lehrhoff Productions, Inc. its judging assistant for these purposes, to select no more than 6 Finalists. EACH PARTICIPANT SELECTED AS A FINALIST (WHETHER ENTERED AS AN INDIVIDUAL OR AS A MEMBER OF A GROUP) MUST SIGN A CONSENT AND RELEASE. FAILURE BY ANY PARTICIPANT SELECTED AS A FINALIST TO SIGN THESE DOCUMENTS WILL RESULT IN THE PARTICIPANT OR GROUP BEING DISQUALIFIED. Finalists will be selected based on the clarity and quality of the performance and diction of Participants, stage presence, professionalism of performance, the demonstrated interest of the Participants in the NFPA mission as described in the Participants’ Entry, NFPA’s assessment of the Participants’ ability to perform at the NFPA Conference & Expo and the ability of the individual or group to project an image consistent with NFPA values. Group Entries will also be evaluated for the participation and contribution of each member of the group. In addition, preference in selecting a winner will be given to Participants who have sung before a live audience in public previously. Finalist Entries will be posted online on the NFPA website, the landing page created for the Contest at: www.nfpa.org/anthem and at the contest tab on NFPA’s Facebook page for public viewing and voting from 8:00:00 AM Eastern Time (ET) on March 31, 2014 through 11:59:59 PM ET on April 4, 2014 (the "Voting Period"). Viewers will be able to vote once per day for their favorite Entry. The Sponsor, with the assistance of Lehrhoff Productions, will select the grand prize winner from among the Finalists based on the results of the public voting, the professionalism and stage presence of the Participants and the Participant’s interest in NFPA’s mission. All decisions of the Sponsor, its contest administrators and the judges are final. Sponsor may produce the performance of the National Anthem at the NFPA Conference & Expo as a live broadcast and/or a live webisode. Sponsor may also record the performance for future play in private or public including by making the event available over the internet. (Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, elect to play the video recording submitted as the Entry in place of a live performance at the NFPA Conference & Expo.) FAILURE OF ANY FINALIST PARTICIPANT TO SIGN THE CONSENT AND RELEASE OR TO COMPLY WITH THESE OFFICIAL RULES MAY RESULT IN THE DISQUALIFICATION OF THE PARTICIPANT AND ALL PARTICIPANTS IN A GROUP ENTRY.
7. PRIZE. Grand Prize (1): Each Participant in the winning Entry (no more than 5 individuals) will receive (i) the opportunity to sing the same rendition of the National Anthem as was used in the Entry at the NFPA Conference & Expo, (ii) a 2-day/1-night trip for one person to Las Vegas, Nevada June 8-9, 2014 (ARV $555.00) and (iii) one (1) full admission to the NFPA Conference & Expo (ARV $1100.00). Each Participant’s trip consists of the following: (1) round-trip coach air transportation for Participant from the major airport nearest the Participant’s residence as listed on the Entry Form to Las Vegas McCarran International Airport, (2) round trip transfers between airport and hotel; and (3) one night, standard occupancy hotel accommodations at a hotel of Sponsor’s choosing in Las Vegas, Nevada. (In the event any Participant lives within 100 miles of Las Vegas, ground transportation will be provided from the Participant’s residence to the destination in lieu of airline tickets.) All travel will be arranged by Sponsor. Prizes are awarded "as is." No substitutions are allowed. Prizes will be awarded, provided a sufficient number of eligible entries are received. Prizes may not be transferred, substituted or redeemed for cash, except at the Sponsor’s sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. (Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, elect to play the video recording submitted as the Entry in place of a live performance at the NFPA Conference & Expo.)
8. PRIZE RESTRICTIONS. Winning Participants are subject to verification of identity and eligibility prior to the award of any prize. Winning Participants will be notified by email at the email address provided on the Entry Form. Within ten (10) days of the date that notification is sent, the winning Participants must, by return email or by other means as may be directed by the Sponsor, provide a response indicating each Participant’s acceptance of the prize and providing the Sponsor with an executed CONSENT AND RELEASE, confirmation of the winning Participants’ identity and eligibility and agreement with the terms and conditions contained in these Official Rules. FAILURE TO PROMPTLY SIGN AND RETURN THIS DOCUMENTATION OR TO COMPLY WITH THESE OFFICIAL RULES WILL RESULT IN PARTICIPANT’S DISQUALIFICATION. DISQUALIFICATION OF ANY MEMBER OF A GROUP WILL RESULT IN THE DISQUALIFICATION OF ALL MEMBERS OF THE GROUP. Participants who do not provide a timely and full response will be disqualified and will forfeit any prize. In addition, any prize will be forfeited if any winning Participant is found to be ineligible, not in compliance with these Official Rules, or declines to accept the prize. Airline carrier’s regulations and conditions apply. Trips may not be combined with any other offer and travel may not qualify for frequent flyer miles or other rewards programs. Participants must possess valid travel documents (i.e. valid photo ID) in order to travel. All travel must be completed on date(s) specified by Sponsor; dates of departure and return and date of the event are subject to change. Certain restrictions may apply. Seat selection and timing of trip subject to availability, airline requirements and confirmation of reservations. No refunds or credit for changes are allowed. All other expenses and costs, not expressly listed above, including, but not limited to, taxes, tips, entertainment, transfers, luggage fees, meals while away from home and transportation between home residence and the airport are the Participant’s sole responsibility.
9. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION. By entering the Contest, Participants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and to accept and abide by all decisions of the Sponsor and any judge(s) with regard to the interpretation and implementation of the Official Rules, and the Contest. By entering the Contest and by accepting status as Participant and/or travel or any prize, each Participant consents to the use of his/her names, city and state of residence, voice, image, photograph or other likeness, video or other recording of the Entry and/or performance at the NFPA Conference & Expo, participation in the event and statements, and comments relating to the Contest, the NFPA Conference & Expo or Sponsor, without further compensation, notification or permission in any publicity or advertising carried out by Sponsor or any related entities in any and all media now known or hereinafter developed without territorial or time limitation, except where prohibited by law. Participants acknowledge that nothing herein shall constitute an employment, joint venture, or partnership relationship between entrant and Sponsor. In no way is an entrant to be construed as the agent or to be acting as the agent of Sponsor in any respect.
10. GENERAL RULES. Taxes, if any, related to the prize are the responsibility of each individual winner. The Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual that tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Contest, violates the Official Rules, or acts in any unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with the intent or result of annoying, abusing, threatening or harassing any other person. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Sponsor reserves the right to change or modify the date of the NFPA Conference & Expo and cancel, terminate or postpone the Contest and/or the NFPA Conference & Expo or the performance of the winner at the NFPA Conference & Expo in its sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to terminate or cancel the Contest in the event there are insufficient Entries as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. In the event of termination or cancelation of the Contest, the prizes (other than travel and the opportunity to sing the National Anthem at the Conference & Expo) may be awarded by alternate means in the Sponsor’s discretion. The decisions of Sponsor, its affiliates and advertising and promotional agencies and contest administrators and judges’ decisions are final on all matters relating to this Contest.
11. RELEASE AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. NO RESPONSIBILITY OR LIABILITY IS ASSUMED FOR DAMAGES, LOSSES, OR INJURY RESULTING FROM ACCEPTANCE OR USE OF ANY PRIZE OR PARTICIPATION IN THE CONTEST OR NFPA CONFERENCE & EXPO AND SPONSOR SHALL HAVE NO LIABILITY OR RESPONSIBILITY FOR, AND EACH PARTICIPANT FOR AND ON BEHALF OF THEMSELVES, THEIR HEIR(S) AND SUCCESSORS, HEREBY RELEASES, INDEMNIFIES AND HOLD HARMLESS SPONSOR, ITS EMPLOYEES, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, AGENTS, REPRESENTATIVES AND ANYONE WORKING AT THE DIRECTION OR WITH THE PERMISSION OF SPONSOR FROM, ANY CLAIM ARISING IN CONNECTION WITH PARTICIPATION IN THIS CONTEST, THE NFPA CONFERENCE & EXPO AND/OR ANY PRIZE AWARDED. PARTICIPANTS ASSUME ALL LIABILITY FOR ANY INJURY OR DAMAGE CAUSED, OR CLAIMED TO BE CAUSED, BY PARTICIPATION IN THIS CONTEST, THE NFPA CONFERENCE & EXPO AND/OR USE OF ANY PRIZE. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY IS A COMPREHENSIVE LIMITATION OF LIABILITY THAT APPLIES TO ALL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING (WITHOUT LIMITATION) COMPENSATORY, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES; LOSS OF DATA, INCOME OR PROFIT; LOSS OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY; AND CLAIMS OF THIRD PARTIES. THE SPONSOR AND ITS AGENTS ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DELIVERIES OR ANY A FAILURE TO DELIVER BY ANY COURIER, POSTAL SERVICE, TECHNICAL, HARDWARE, SOFTWARE OR TELEPHONE OR FACSIMILE MALFUNCTIONS OF ANY KIND OR LOST OR UNAVAILABLE NETWORK CONNECTIONS OR FAILED, INCORRECT, INCOMPLETE, INACCURATE, GARBLED OR DELAYED ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS ASSOCIATED WITH OR UTILIZED IN THIS CONTEST OR THE NFPA CONFERENCE & EXPO OR BY ANY HUMAN ERROR THAT MAY OCCUR IN THE PROCESSING OR JUDGING OF THE CONTEST OR AT THE NFPA CONFERENCE & EXPO.
12. APPLICABLE LAWS AND JURISDICTION. This Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Issues concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules and of the rights and responsibilities of the participants in and Sponsor of the Contest shall be governed by the laws of the State of Massachusetts, without regard to any principles of conflict of laws. All disputes arising out of or in connection with this Contest shall be resolved individually, and without resort to class action, exclusively by the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts or the appropriate Massachusetts state court for the City of Quincy, Norfolk County, and participants in consent to the jurisdiction of such courts with respect to all such disputes. To the extent permitted by applicable law, all judgments or awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket damages (excluding attorneys’ fees) associated with participation in this Contest and shall not include any indirect, punitive, incidental and/or consequential damages.