The National Fire Protection Association is committed to helping communities reduce fire and fall injuries and deaths among older adults through the Remembering When Program. NFPA will select teams from up to 25 communities to attend the 2014 Remembering When Conference. Participants will receive training to reach older adults through group presentations and home visits.
Show a pair of aces. Who should apply?
Two-person teams from communities motivated to reduce fire and fall injuries and deaths among older adults are encouraged to apply. Each team must include one member of the fire department and one member of an agency serving older adults in the community. The partner agency must already have a home-visit mechanism in place. Examples of such agencies include visiting nurse associations, home health care agencies, church outreach groups, and other organizations. The team must have the authority, commitment, and ability to oversee local implementation of the Remembering When Program through group presentations, home visits, and training for additional home visitors.
Each team must submit the following materials with their application (PDF, 1 MB):
- LETTER of commitment from the chief of the fire department supporting the participation of the fire department in this project.
- LETTER of commitment from a leader in the home visitor agency supporting the participation of the applicant in this project and briefly outlining the agency’s role and ability to conduct home visits in the project.
- A ONE-PAGE ESSAY explaining why your community should be selected to receive a 2014 Remembering When Conference Award.
- LETTER from an NFPA field partner supporting your application. Field partners include your NFPA Public Education Advisor, Public Education Network member (PDF, 147 KB), or Urban Fire & Life Safety Task Force Member. Field partners are expecting to hear from applicants and are ready to help out. Use the contact links to reach out if you do not already have a relationship with one. Reach out through our contact links if you do not have an established relationship with one yet. If your team is selected, the authoring field partner will also be invited to attend the conference.
Each Remembering When Award is valued at more than $4,000 and includes:
The NFPA Conference & Expo will be held in Las Vegas on June 9 – 12, 2014. If you’ve been thinking about attending either conference, this is a great way to get the most bang for your buck…and have a weekend to play in Sin City!
What happens in Vegas…. goes home with you
The following team requirements must be fulfilled following conference attendance. A minimum of five group presentations for older adults using the Remembering When program.
- At least one train-the-trainer session for the partner agency home visitors.
- At least 25 home visits with Remembering When program materials integrated into each visit.
- Submission of a final report to NFPA by May 1, 2015.
House rules for applying
Submit one copy of the application (PDF, 1 MB), essay, and letters of support from your fire chief, leader of the partner agency, and NFPA field partner no later than the close of business on Monday, March 10, 2014. NFPA will notify award recipients on or before Monday, March 31, 2014.
Questions? Contact Karen Berard-Reed +1 617 984-7286.