It is the particular mission of the NFPA Certified Fire Plan Examiner (CFPE) program to promote professionalism within the fire plan examiner field-of-practice through a widely accepted, recognized, appreciated, and practical certification program.
Like the CFI-I and CFI-II certification programs, the CFPE is based on the NFPA 1031, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner. In addition to the NFPA 1031, the CFPE certification program also includes NFPA codes related directly to the plan examiner’s field-of-practice.
The goals of this program are to:
- Recognize and provide evidence of competence as related to NFPA 1031, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner
- Enhance professionalism
- Ensure proficiency in the use of codes and standards
- Promote professional development
- Ensure a uniform, fair process for certification that is accessible to everyone
- Be recognized by your colleagues as an expert
- Gain confidence in your abilities
- Improve your job performance
- Position yourself for career advancement
- Certification holders also receive a CFPE certificate and lapel pin that further highlights their accomplishment
- For more information, view the candidate handbook (PDF)
- 3-year recertification form (PDF)
- Practicum workbook (PDF)
Attention CFPE certification holders - Please be aware that the requirements for recertification will be changing on 1/1/2021. Currently, under professional practice, individuals may apply 1/2 point per inspection. Because of the variation in the time and effort required for different types of inspections, the new points allotment for professional practice will be 1/2 point per hour dedicated to inspection activities. This change is being undertaken to make recertification more consistent between certified individuals.
- Certification Advisory Group
NOTICE: The CFPE exam is offered in a computer-based format. The exam uses digitized plans, in a pop-up window, with scrolling and magnification capabilities. The computer-based exam is available at testing centers around the world. To locate a computer-based testing center near you, visit the test center Web site. Please refer to the candidate handbook (PDF) for details.
The Fire Plan Examiner exam is based on NFPA 1031, 2014 edition, Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner.
It is the candidate’s responsibility to obtain materials needed for study purposes and to have present during the examination. The following list contains the resources to be used in preparing for and taking the examination. All items in the examination are compatible with both code sets. Please verify with your jurisdiction or certification partnership agency for the proper set.
2018 NFPA Code Set
2015 NFPA Code Set
These NFPA codes and standards have been conveniently packaged into reference sets and are available for people registering for the CFPE exam at a special price, only through the NFPA Certification Department. Refer to the CFPE application form (PDF, 40 KB) to order these references. Please be sure to indicate which set you would like on your order form.
NFPA Certification Department
1 Batterymarch Park, Quincy, MA 02169
Tel: +1 617 984-7432