Regulations and agenda
Per the Regulations Governing the Development of NFPA Standards (Section 4.5), only Certified Amending Motions (with valid sign-in) and proper Follow-up Motions will be allowed during the NFPA Technical Meeting for standards processed in the Fall and Annual revision cycles.
The agenda for the Technical Meeting will be those standards with Certified Amending Motions as indicated in the Report of the Motions Committee on Certified Amending Motions.
Per the NFPA Bylaws, only NFPA Members of record 180 days before the opening of any Annual, Regular, Special, or Technical Meeting of the NFPA Membership who have duly registered and paid any registration fees for the meeting shall be entitled to vote at that meeting. Except as may be required by law or as may be provided in a Regulation or Standing Rule promulgated pursuant to Article 8 of these Bylaws, any action of the NFPA Voting Membership shall require the affirmative vote of a majority of the votes cast at the meeting.
Voting by proxy shall not be permitted, and the vote of each Voting NFPA Member shall be cast by that member individually.
Upcoming NFPA Conference & Expo Dates
- June 6-9, 2022, Boston Convention & Exhibition Center, Boston, MA
- June 19-22, 2023, Mandalay Bay Convention Center, Las Vegas, NV
- June 17-20, 2024, Orange County Convention Center, Orlando, FL
- June 16-19, 2025, Mandalay Bay Convention Center, Las Vegas, NV
- June 22-25, 2026, Mandalay Bay Convention Center, Las Vegas, NV
Under NFPA rules, anyone wishing to make an allowable amending motion at an NFPA Technical Meeting must declare their intentions by filing, within the published deadline, a Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM). NITMAMs submitted on Public Comments (PC) can only be submitted by the original submitter of the PC or their duly authorized Designated Representative. NITMAMs can be made by anyone if the NITMAM is on a Committee Comment, Second Revision, Second Correlating Revision, or in the case of a new standard, a NITMAM to Return the Entire NFPA Standard.
The Motions Committee of the NFPA Standards Council, in accordance with NFPA rules, reviews each NITMAM to determine whether the intended motion is a proper motion. Proposed NFPA Standards will be presented for action at the NFPA Technical Meeting only when an Amending Motion (NITMAM) has been certified by the Motions Committee as a proper amending motion. Standards that receive no motions will not be presented at the meeting and instead will be forwarded directly to the NFPA Standards Council for action on issuance. More about the standards development process including NITMAM.
Additional information on NITMAMs and authorized submitters can be found in Section 4.5 of the Regulations Governing the Development of NFPA Standards.
Annual 2021 revision cycle
- Results of NFPA Technical Meeting Membership Voting
- May 19, 2021: The Report of the Motions Committee and Agenda addresses 10 Standards with Certified Amending Motions for consideration at the 2021 NFPA Technical Meeting: NFPA 10, NFPA 13, NFPA 72, NFPA 80, NFPA 291, NFPA 318, NFPA 501, NFPA 1123, NFPA 1225, and NFPA 2001; and provides a list of NITMAMs that were not certified and a list of NITMAMs requested by the submitter to be withdrawn.
- Important Notice and Update on CAM 13-34: NFPA has become aware that the display of CAM 13-34 is not accurately showing that footnotes b, c, d, and e are being deleted in their entirety, and that footnotes f and g are to be re-lettered, as appropriate. Accuracy of the actions to be considered by the membership are of the utmost importance to NFPA and therefore we have reposted the CAM in its entirety for your review should this not have been clear previously.
- Withdrawal of CAMs 13-38 and 13-43: Subsequent to the posting of the Motions Committee Report, two Certified Amending Motions for NFPA 13 (specifically, CAM 13-38 and CAM 13-43) were requested to be withdrawn by their submitters. In accordance with the Regulations Governing the Development of NFPA Standards and the Temporary NFPA Technical Meeting Convention Rules for 2021, these CAMs were approved by the Motions Committee for withdrawal.
- As a result of the Motions Committee approval on requests by submitters to withdraw NITMAMs 105-3, 407-2, 484-1, and 2500-2, four Standards NFPA 105, NFPA 407, NFPA 484, and NFPA 2500 are now considered consent standards in accordance with the Regulations. The final date to file an appeal on these Consent Standards is June 3, 2021. Please see individual standards pages for more information.
- Temporary Technical Meeting Convention Rules for 2021
- April 26, 2021: Deadline for Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM) on Standards in Emergency Response and Responder Safety Group 1 custom cycle.
- February 17, 2021: Deadline for Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM) on Standards in Annual 2021 cycle.
- The following Annual 2021 Standards did not receive NITMAMs and have been issued as Consent Standards: NFPA 12, NFPA 13D, NFPA 13R, NFPA 20, NFPA 24, NFPA 40, NFPA 80A, NFPA 101A, NFPA 110, NFPA 150, NFPA 232, NFPA 241, NFPA 400, NFPA 951, NFPA 1124, NFPA 1125, NFPA 1581, NFPA 1582, NFPA 1583, NFPA 1584, NFPA 1877, NFPA 1977, and NFPA 1984. Please see individual standards pages for more information.
Fall 2020 revision cycle
- October 7, 2020: The Report of the Motions Committee addresses two Fall 2020 Standards with Certified Amending Motions for consideration at the 2021 NFPA Technical Meeting: NFPA 318 and NFPA 501; and provides a list of NITMAMs that were not certified and a list of NITMAMs requested by the submitter to be withdrawn.
- Consent Standards: The following Fall 2020 Standards did not receive NITMAMs and have been issued as Consent Standards: NFPA 32, NFPA 33, NFPA 34, NFPA 35, NFPA 36, NFPA 37, NFPA 53, NFPA 79, NFPA 87, NFPA 92, NFPA 102, NFPA 170, NFPA 204, NFPA 214, NFPA 225, NFPA 418, NFPA 450, NFPA 501A, NFPA 520, NFPA 555, NFPA 901, NFPA 1802, and NFPA 1937. Please see individual standards pages for more information.
- August 27, 2020: Deadline for Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM) on Standards in Fall 2020 cycle.
Instructions for submitting a NITMAM
- NFPA accepts NITMAMs via our online submission system. To use the online submission system:
- Choose a document from the List of NFPA codes & standards or filter by Development Stage for "codes accepting NITMAM".
- Once you are on the document page, select the "Next edition" tab and choose the link "Second Draft Report".
- You will be asked to sign-in or create a free online account with NFPA before using this system.
- Once on the Second Draft Report page, follow the online instructions to submit your NITMAM.
Previous Motions Committee Reports, Transcripts, and Final Results
Electronic Format, Annual 2021
Electronic Format, Annual 2020
San Antonio, TX, Annual 2019
- Read the final floor action results from this year's Tech Session
- Transcript (NFPA 25, NFPA 302, NFPA 654, NFPA 130, NFPA 502, NFPA 1961, NFPA 1851, NFPA 58, NFPA 801, NFPA 855, and NFPA 70)
- Annual 2019 Motions Committee Report - Part 2 - (NFPA 25, NFPA 70, NFPA 855, and NFPA 1851)
- Annual 2019 Motions Committee Report
- Fall 2018 Motions Committee Report
Las Vegas, NV, Annual 2018
- Final floor action results from the Tech Session
- Transcript (NFPA 400, NFPA 241, NFPA 289, NFPA 101A, NFPA 13, NFPA 13D, NFPA 1981, NFPA 1001, NFPA 1730, NFPA 110, NFPA 72)
- Annual 2018 Motions Committee Report
- Fall 2017 Motions Committee Report
Boston, MA, Annual 2017
- Final floor action results from the Tech Session
- Transcript (NFPA 37, NFPA 54, NFPA 59, NFPA 99, NFPA 1144, NFPA 1403, NFPA 1951, NFPA 2112, NFPA 285, NFPA 730, NFPA 101, NFPA 5000, NFPA 1)
- Annual 2017 Motions Committee Report
- Fall 2016 Motions Committee Report
Las Vegas, NV, Annual 2016