Deadline: March 31, 2021
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) is considering expanding the development of standards relating to the fire protection of cannabis growing and processing facilities (currently included with NFPA 1, Fire Code) with the development of an ANSI Accredited Standard dedicated to this subject matter. Standards development will address the protection of facilities from fire and related hazards where cannabis is being grown, processed, extracted or tested. As the legalized cannabis industry continues to rapidly expand in the United States and globally, there is a need for clear guidance on fire safety considerations for the facilities in which cannabis growing and processing occurs.
Activities related to the proposed project are anticipated to focus on:
- Cannabis growing facilities
- Cannabis processing facilities
- Cannabis extracting facilities
- Cannabis testing labs
- General skills, knowledge and experience to maintain fire and related hazard safety by facility operators and facility managers
- General skills, knowledge and experience to inspect, test and maintain cannabis growing, processing, extraction or testing facilities from fire and related hazards
NFPA is seeking comments from all interested organizations and individuals to gauge whether support exists for development of a standard dedicated to the fire protection of cannabis growing and processing facilities. Specifically, please submit your comments to the following:
- Are you, or your organization, in favor of the development of an NFPA Standard pertaining to the fire protection of cannabis growing and processing facilities?
- Please state your reason(s) for supporting or opposing such standards development.
- Are you or your organization interested in applying for membership on the Technical Committee if the Standards Council initiates development activities on the proposed project?
- If yes, please submit an application, in addition to your comments in support of the project, online at: Submit online application*
Please submit all comments, in support or opposition to standards development related to fire protection of cannabis growing and processing facilities by March 31, 2021.
*Note: Applications being accepted for purposes of documenting applicant interest in committee participation. Acceptance of applications by NFPA does not guaranty or imply the Standards Council will ultimately approve standards development activity on this subject matter.