Regulations and agenda
Per the Regulations Governing the Development of NFPA Standards (Section 4.5), only Certified Amending Motions (with valid sign-in) and proper Follow-up Motions will be allowed during the NFPA Technical Meeting for standards processed in the Fall and Annual revision cycles.
The agenda for the Technical Meeting will be those standards with Certified Amending Motions as indicated in the Report of the Motions Committee on Certified Amending Motions.
Per the NFPA Bylaws, only NFPA Members of record 180 days before the opening of any Annual, Regular, Special, or Technical Meeting of the NFPA Membership who have duly registered and paid any registration fees for the meeting shall be entitled to vote at that meeting. Except as may be required by law or as may be provided in a Regulation or Standing Rule promulgated pursuant to Article 8 of these Bylaws, any action of the NFPA Voting Membership shall require the affirmative vote of a majority of the votes cast at the meeting.
Voting by proxy shall not be permitted, and the vote of each Voting NFPA Member shall be cast by that member individually.
Upcoming NFPA Conference & Expo Dates
- Week of June 21, 2021, Mandalay Bay Convention Center, Las Vegas, NV
- June 6-9, 2022, Boston Convention & Exhibition Center, Boston, MA
- June 19-22, 2023, Mandalay Bay Convention Center, Las Vegas, NV
- June 17-20, 2024, Mandalay Bay Convention Center, Las Vegas, NV
- June 9-12, 2025, San Antonio, TX
Under NFPA rules, anyone wishing to make an allowable amending motion at an NFPA Technical Meeting must declare their intentions by filing, within the published deadline, a Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM). NITMAMs submitted on Public Comments (PC) can only be submitted by the original submitter of the PC or their duly authorized Designated Representative. NITMAMs can be made by anyone if the NITMAM is on a Committee Comment, Second Revision, Second Correlating Revision, or in the case of a new standard, a NITMAM to Return the Entire NFPA Standard.
The Motions Committee of the NFPA Standards Council, in accordance with NFPA rules, reviews each NITMAM to determine whether the intended motion is a proper motion. Proposed NFPA Standards will be presented for action at the NFPA Technical Meeting only when an Amending Motion (NITMAM) has been certified by the Motions Committee as a proper amending motion. Standards that receive no motions will not be presented at the meeting and instead will be forwarded directly to the NFPA Standards Council for action on issuance. More about the standards development process including NITMAM.
Additional information on NITMAMs and authorized submitters can be found in Section 4.5 of the Regulations Governing the Development of NFPA Standards.
Fall 2020 revision cycle
- August 27, 2020: Deadline for Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM) on Standards in Fall 2020 cycle.
Annual 2020 revision cycle
- Final Results of NFPA Technical Meeting Membership Voting
Note: Should you wish to appeal the results of the Technical Meeting to the NFPA Standards Council, you may do so in accordance with the Regulations Governing the Development of NFPA Standards, found at www.nfpa.org/regs . Please look closely at the Regs Sections 1.6.2 (a) and (b) as there is a defined window of time for appeals, depending upon whether appealing a Certified Amending Motion which has failed or passed the membership vote. All appeals will be considered during the August Standards Council meeting prior to issuance of standards.
- Final Debate Report
- Important Update (as of May 27, 2020) to 2020 Report of the Motions Committee and Agenda: Motions Committee approves requests for withdrawals (CAMs 99-7, 99-9, 101-16, 101-18, 101-19, and 5000-8).
- May 7, 2020: Download this year's Report of the Motions Committee and Agenda. The 2020 Report of the Motions Committee and Agenda reflects actions taken by the Committee on April 30 and addresses two Fall 2019 and eight Annual 2020 Standards with Certified Amending Motions: NFPA 1, NFPA 4, NFPA 30, NFPA 99, NFPA 101; NFPA 790, NFPA 1006, NFPA 1500, NFPA 1700, and NFPA 5000; also included is a list of NITMAMs that were not certified or were withdrawn.
- Of the NITMAMs received on Annual 2020 Revision Cycle Standards, 23 NITMAMs were approved on April 30 as withdrawn by the Motions Committee (related to nine Standards). As a result, NFPA 17, NFPA 30A, NFPA 70E, NFPA 90A, NFPA 220, and NFPA 1194 will be balloted by the Standards Council as Consent Standards.
Note: NFPA 99, NFPA 101 and NFPA 5000 had Certified Amending Motions for consideration during the 2020 Technical Meeting as of the Motions Committee's actions on April 30. However, on May 18, the Motions Committee approved the subsequent request for withdrawal of the only CAM for NFPA 5000 (namely CAM 5000-8); therefore, NFPA 5000 will be balloted by the Standards Council as a Consent Standard.
- The following Annual 2020 Standards did not receive NITMAMs and have been issued as Consent Standards: NFPA 3, NFPA 17A, NFPA 54, NFPA 59, NFPA 90B, NFPA 96, NFPA 99B, NFPA 160, NFPA 221, NFPA 303, NFPA 312, NFPA 496, NFPA 497, NFPA 499, NFPA 703, NFPA 770, NFPA 791, NFPA 921, NFPA 1192, NFPA 1801, NFPA 1952, NFPA 1953, NFPA 3000. Please see individual standards pages for more information.
- Read the Temporary Technical Meeting Convention Rules for 2020
- February 19, 2020: Deadline for Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM) on Standards in Annual 2020 cycle. Note: NFPA 1 and NFPA 921 deadline for NITMAM was March 11, 2020.
Fall 2019 revision cycle
- October 11, 2019: The Report of the Motions Committee addresses two Fall 2019 Standards with Certified Amending Motions for consideration at the 2020 NFPA Technical Meeting: NFPA 1500 and NFPA 1700; a list of NITMAMs that were not certified or were withdrawn; and identifies the list of Consent Standards.
- August 29, 2019: Deadline for Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM) on Standards in Fall 2019 cycle.
Instructions for submitting a NITMAM
- NFPA accepts NITMAMs via our online submission system. To use the online submission system:
- Choose a document from the List of NFPA codes & standards or filter by Development Stage for "codes accepting NITMAM".
- Once you are on the document page, select the "Next edition" tab and choose the link "Second Draft Report".
- You will be asked to sign-in or create a free online account with NFPA before using this system.
- Once on the Second Draft Report page, follow the online instructions to submit your NITMAM.
Previous Motions Committee Reports, Transcripts, and Final Results
Electronic Format, Annual 2020
San Antonio, TX, Annual 2019
- Read the final floor action results from this year's Tech Session
- Transcript (NFPA 25, NFPA 302, NFPA 654, NFPA 130, NFPA 502, NFPA 1961, NFPA 1851, NFPA 58, NFPA 801, NFPA 855, and NFPA 70)
- Annual 2019 Motions Committee Report - Part 2 - (NFPA 25, NFPA 70, NFPA 855, and NFPA 1851)
- Annual 2019 Motions Committee Report
- Fall 2018 Motions Committee Report
Las Vegas, NV, Annual 2018
- Final floor action results from the Tech Session
- Transcript (NFPA 400, NFPA 241, NFPA 289, NFPA 101A, NFPA 13, NFPA 13D, NFPA 1981, NFPA 1001, NFPA 1730, NFPA 110, NFPA 72)
- Annual 2018 Motions Committee Report
- Fall 2017 Motions Committee Report
Boston, MA, Annual 2017
- Final floor action results from the Tech Session
- Transcript (NFPA 37, NFPA 54, NFPA 59, NFPA 99, NFPA 1144, NFPA 1403, NFPA 1951, NFPA 2112, NFPA 285, NFPA 730, NFPA 101, NFPA 5000, NFPA 1)
- Annual 2017 Motions Committee Report
- Fall 2016 Motions Committee Report
Las Vegas, NV, Annual 2016