Questions about NFPA's Enforcer Funding program

Find a code or standard

Frequently asked questions about NFPA's Enforcer Funding Project

This document is intended to answer some of the most commonly asked questions about the NFPA Enforcer Funding Program (EFP).

Download this list of Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 85 KB)

Q: Do I have to be a Technical Committee Member to get funding?
A: Yes. To be eligible for the Program, you must be a duly appointed member of an NFPA Technical Committee and have been classified by the NFPA Standards Council, for purposes of Committee balance, as an Enforcer, or more formally, as an “Enforcing Authority (E).” For more information about NFPA Technical Committees and Committee membership, visit If you are interested in applying for Committee membership, the Technical Committee Membership form can be found at

Q: Do all Enforcers get reimbursement for Committee participation?
A: No. To be eligible for reimbursement funds under the Program, you must be an Enforcer who is either a full time public employee or a person who acts as an enforcer in his or her capacity as a member of the volunteer fire service.

Q: Are all expenses related to Committee participation eligible for reimbursement?
A: No. The Program is intended to reimburse only major transportation and lodging expenses, and those expenses are reimbursed at 80 percent. Also, while the main Committee meetings will be covered (i.e., that is, the First Draft and Second Draft meetings), coverage for other meetings will be reviewed and approved on a case by case basis.

Q: If I am a consultant working exclusively for municipalities or other government organizations, am I eligible for reimbursement?
A: No. To be eligible for reimbursement, you must be a full time public employee or a person who is an Enforcer in his or her capacity as a member of the volunteer fire service.

Q: If I am an Alternate or a Nonvoting Committee member, can I get reimbursement?
A: Yes. Both Alternates and Nonvoting Committee members can be eligible for the Program. However, funding for Alternates will only be available for meetings at which the Principal member is not in attendance.

Q: What if I am classified as an Enforcer on my Technical Committee but don’t qualify for reimbursement under the Program. Does my ineligibility for the Program affect my Committee membership or my classification as an Enforcer on the Committee?
A: No. Committee membership and classification are determined by the NFPA Standards Council in accordance with NFPA’s standards development procedures. Eligibility for reimbursement under the Program is independent of and has no bearing on your Committee membership or classification.

Q: Why are Enforcers the only category eligible for reimbursement?
A: The purpose of this Program is to enhance NFPA Technical Committee balance of interests and to promote public sector participation in NFPA standards development activities by reducing financial barriers to participation entailed by public sector budget constraints. NFPA does not have unlimited funds, however, and to make the most of available resources, it has focused the Program on public sector Enforcers because this is an interest classification for which a need for greater participation on many NFPA Committees has been identified.

Q: If I am interested in receiving reimbursement funding from the Program, how do I become eligible?
A: In order to become eligible, you must submit an Eligibility application for the Program. NFPA will then determine your eligibility and, if you are eligible, provide you with a written determination. Once you have received this written determination, you may begin requesting reimbursements. The Application for Eligibility and NFPA Enforcer Funding Program ‐ Descriptions are available at

Q: What expenses are eligible to be reimbursed?
A: The Program provides reimbursement funding (at 80%) for the major expenses of attendance at Committee Meetings. Generally, that includes two components. The first component is the expense of the transportation used to get you to and from your home base to the meeting location. That can include air, train or bus travel but not taxis or car services. Your personal vehicles can be used and are reimbursed according to a standard mileage rate. It also includes the cost of public transportation or shuttle service to and from the airport or train station used to travel between your base home and the meeting. The second component is the expense of lodging while you are at the meeting. Lodging must generally be at the group rate negotiated by NFPA at the designated host hotel. Where no hotel has been designated, reimbursement is capped at 80% of a standard rate which is currently $160. Further details on these “Covered Expenses” are contained in the Program Description available at
 Any expenses not designated as a Covered Expense in the Program Description is not eligible for reimbursement. Expenses which are not covered include, for example, the costs of, incidentals, car rentals or local transportation while you are at the meeting.

Q: Will the Program advance me funds to cover an expense before I have incurred it? How do I get reimbursed?
A: No. The Program will only provide you with reimbursement of funds that you have actually spent. Reimbursement from the Fund shall require the timely submission of full documentation for all reimbursable expenses (including receipts) on forms designated by NFPA and in accordance with NFPA policies for documenting reimbursements in effect at the time of reimbursement. Reimbursement Forms and expense documentation must be submitted within 30 days of the last day of the meeting.

Q: Once approved for the Program, do I have to use the NFPA travel agent? What if my employer has a mandatory travel agent?
A: Travel should be by the most economical means available. Travel arrangements by common carrier (i.e., air and train travel) must be made through NFPA’s authorized travel agent, currently Colpitts World Travel, which may be contacted at 1‐800‐795‐9500 or 617‐984‐7313. State or local government employees who are required to utilize contract travel representatives shall be permitted to request relief from the requirement to use NFPA’s travel agent, provided travel expenses derived from this source are not more than the cost available from the NFPA travel agent.

Q: What if I made my 2012 Technical Committee travel arrangements before the announcement about the Program went out? I did not use NFPA’s travel agent.
A: The Program provides reimbursements for meetings that take place beginning in 2012. The Program also is forward‐looking and applies only to Committee meetings that take place after the date of the submission of your application for eligibility. If you have made travel arrangements for a 2012 meeting before the announcement of the Program, you can still seek reimbursement under the Program, provided that: you apply for eligibility before the meeting takes place; and you receive a determination of eligibility from NFPA before you file your reimbursement form. Since you had no notice of the requirement to use NFPA’s travel agent, your failure to have booked your travel through the NFPA agent will not affect the eligibility of the travel expense. All other provisions of the NFPA Enforcer Funding Program,however, will apply. If this situation applies to you, or if you want to seek reimbursement for a meeting early in 2012, you should submit your Program Eligibility Application before the meeting and you should do so as soon as possible so that you can obtain your determination of eligibility in time to submit your reimbursement form, as required, within 30 days of the last day of the meeting for which you are seeking reimbursement. Also, contact the Program Administrator at 
to discuss your situation.

Q: Where can I find more information?
A: All information and forms needed to a) apply for this program and b) request reimbursement of allowed travel and hotel expenses is available at
 Specific questions can be emailed to