NFPA is keeping pace with the surge in energy storage and solar technology by undertaking initiatives including training, standards development, and research so that various stakeholders can safely embrace renewable energy sources and respond if potential new hazards arise.
View a training preview:
Photovoltaic and Energy Storage Systems Online Training Series
NFPA Standards that address Energy Storage Systems
Research on Energy Storage Systems from the Research Foundation
*You can also download this fact sheet in Spanish.
- Blog post - Arizona ESS Explosion Investigation and Line of Duty Injury Reports Now Available
- Learn more about photovoltaic (PV) systems and solar technology
- Column from Faculty Executive - Safety With Energy Storage Systems
- Article from International Fire Protection - With the use of energy storage systems on the rise, the NFPA can help with new research
- Juice Box: A handful of highlights of NFPA 855, the new standard for the installation of energy storage systems. (NFPA Journal®, May/June 2019)
- Better Batteries: As energy storage systems (ESS) evolve and as NFPA considers a new standard for ESS safety, research continues in an effort to improve the materials, design, and methodologies that underlie this rapidly expanding technology. (NFPA Journal®, January/February 2017)
- Code Solution: The Federal government looks to NFPA for expertise on energy storage systems. (NFPA Journal®, July/August 2016)
- Decentralization Revolution: As electrical generation and transmission becomes less utility-centric, the NEC keeps pace with a host of new provisions focused on emerging technologies. (NFPA Journal®, May/June 2016)
- Power to Spare: As energy storage systems revolutionize power management, enforcers and responders tackle a host of emerging safety questions. (NFPA Journal®, January/February 2016)
- The Lithium-ion Conundrum: Ignition and reignition issues with the batteries in electric vehicles are also concerns for energy storage systems. (NFPA Journal®, January/February 2016)
- The New New Technology: responder safety and the emergency of energy storage systems. (NFPA Journal®, March/April 2015)
Watch this series of five videos on energy storage systems to be prepared for the new hazards these systems may pose.
Prefer classroom training?
Contact us today to discuss NFPA’s comprehensive instructor-led ESS and Solar classroom training featuring videos, animations, activities, and case studies.
Interested in other new technology response challenges and solutions?
Check out NFPA’s Alternative Fuel Vehicle (AFV) Safety Training to find out more about how first and second responders can prepare for incidents involving electric, hybrid, fuel cell and gaseous fuel vehicles on the road today.