Industrial Fire Protection Section membership helps tailor your NFPA benefits to your industry and puts you in direct contact with industry experts in risk management, loss control, fire protection and suppression, engineering, and environmental health and safety. You'll be able to call on these professional contacts to solve problems, and gain insight into tomorrow's biggest challenges. Get time- and money-saving solutions to your organization's most pressing priorities. Plus, IFP gives you streamlined access to information on groundbreaking developments like NFPA 5000®, Building Construction and Safety Code®.
Advance your career through CEUs, educational seminars, and professional development critical to your success on the job. Plus, Section leadership and publication opportunities help you build credentials and enhance your reputation as an expert in your field.
Membership in IFP is open to any NFPA member who is an employee of an industrial, institutional, or commercial entity and is actively engaged – on a full-time or part-time basis – in the formulation, administration, or implementation of policies and procedures designed to provide fire protection for his or her employer's facilities.
Stay up-to-date with what's happening with the Industrial Fire Protection Section and participate in discussions by visiting NFPA's Xchange community (login required).
The Industrial Fire Protection Section of NFPA was authorized by the NFPA Board of Directors on June 21, 1965, and organized on October 1, 1965. Section membership is contingent upon membership in NFPA and is open to any employee of an industrial, institutional, or commercial entity who is actively engaged, either full-time or part-time, in the formulation, administration, or implementation of policies and procedures designed to provide fire protection for the employer’s facilities. Affiliate membership is available to individuals with an interest in the goals and objectives of the section. There are no dues or fees required of section members other than NFPA membership dues.
The objectives of the section as set forth in its constitution are as follows:
- Unite for mutual professional benefit those employees of industrial and certain other properties engaged full-time or part-time in fire protection, prevention, or suppression.
- Act as a central agency for the exchange of information among its members.
- Advance the interests of industry in the field of fire protection, prevention, and suppression.
- Stimulate awareness throughout industry of the need for continually improving industrial fire programs.
- Encourage participation by its members on the technical committees of the Association consistent with NFPA Regulations Governing Committee Projects.
- Prepare for publication by the Association such educational materials as may be most practicable and suitable for broadening the understanding of industrial managements and their employees.
- Advance and encourage the development of improved fire protection equipment, devices, and methods by pooling experience and correlating the recommendations of its members.
- Encourage industry to specify and purchase fire protection equipment on the basis of quality and performance.
- Bring to the attention of its members such matters of legislation and regulation as would be of obvious interest.
- Promote cooperation between industrial and public fire-fighting forces.
- Help industry achieve its primary goal of profitable operation by stimulating awareness of the total cost of fire.
Here are some ideas on how you can stay involved with your Section's activities.