Research Section membership helps tailor your NFPA benefits to your profession and gives you streamlined access to groundbreaking research developments that affect code changes and fire safety-related science and engineering practices. Section membership also puts you in direct contact with fire safety research experts, code enforcers, research users, and engineers. You'll be able to call on these professional contacts to solve problems and gain insight into tomorrow's biggest challenges. And you'll collaborate with peers on pioneering projects that can put you and your organization at the forefront of your field.
Advance your career through CEUs, educational seminars, and professional development critical to your success on the job. Plus, Section leadership and publication opportunities help you build credentials and enhance your reputation as an expert in your field.
Membership in the Research Section is open to NFPA members interested in any aspect of fire research related to safety, science, codes and standards, and protection.
Stay up-to-date with what's happening with the Research Section and participate in discussions by visiting NFPA's Xchange community (login required).
Authorized in 1987 and organized in 1988, the Research Section of NFPA brings together persons involved in or interested in research related to fire safety, fire science, fire codes and standards, fire protection, and related areas. Its principal activity is the facilitation of communication between researcher and research user including what users need, what researchers have available, and what general strategies will lead to increased use of valid research.
This section was established to serve the interests of its membership in research on fire-related issues by the following:
- Facilitating communication between those who conduct fire research and those who use the results of such research.
- Facilitating communication by fire safety and fire protection practitioners of their needs that may be addressed by research.
- Facilitating communication by researchers of the applicability of their research to the mission of NFPA and other fire research user needs.
- Facilitating technology transfer to the codes and standards consensus process and other fire safety and fire protection decision-making processes.
- Identifying methods by which fire research can be more systematically applied to fire safety and fire protection decisions, including the codes and standards process.
- Facilitating communication among researchers on better ways to serve user needs and to plan and support research to serve those needs.
Here are some ideas on how you can stay involved with your Section's activities.