June 15, 2017
– The National Fire Protection Association
(NFPA) has released a free 1st Responder Connection App offering firefighters, EMS, command staff, public educators, wildland fire personnel, and authorities having jurisdiction (AHJs) convenient, digital access to best practices, safety tips, and emergency response content.
Free download of the NFPA 1st Responder Connection App is available via Apple or Android today.
Over the past year, NFPA conducted focus groups with fire leaders and first responders to gauge their knowledge needs and preferred methods for accessing and utilizing information. Members of the fire, EMS and investigation communities consistently stated that having easy access, via smartphone devices, to resources, interactive tools, and training will help them stay current in their roles. The following topic areas were identified as important and are featured in the new app:
- Emerging issues – energy storage, alternative fuel vehicles and civil unrest
- Public and worker safety – new fire hazards and confined space
- Firefighter occupational health and wellness – contamination, cancer and cardiac issues
- Firefighting technology and data – unmanned aerial systems, smart cities, biometrics and fire department comparison tools
- Educational tools – safety bulletins, tip sheets, training and at-risk audience engagement
- Wildfire prevention and response – community mitigation, home ignition zone and trends
- Standards and research – code enforcement, guidelines and reports
“Throughout our long history, NFPA has developed sought-after resources to help first responders keep informed and safe while protecting life and property,” said Ken Willette, NFPA’s fire services segment director. “NFPA is committed to sharing our vast collection of information and creating new content to better meet the needs of our stakeholders.”
The NFPA 1st Responder Connection App puts prevention, education and response tools in the hands of emergency responders so that they can continue to perform at a high level and meet the changing needs of society. Much like the industry it serves, the NFPA 1st Responder Connection App will continue to evolve and address new fire problems, hazards and solutions.
For this release and other announcements about NFPA initiatives, research and resources, please visit the NFPA press room
About the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)
Founded in 1896, NFPA is a global, nonprofit organization devoted to eliminating death, injury, property and economic loss due to fire, electrical and related hazards. The association delivers information and knowledge through more than 300 consensus codes and standards, research, training, education, outreach and advocacy; and by partnering with others who share an interest in furthering the NFPA mission. For more information visit www.nfpa.org. All NFPA codes and standards can be viewed online for free at www.nfpa.org/freeaccess
Subscribe to NFPA RSS News feeds
Contact: Susan McKelvey, Public Affairs Office: +1 617 984-7275