Open navigation

Fires in Structures Under Construction, Undergoing Major Renovation, or Being Demolished

Report: NFPA's "Fires in Structures Under Construction, Undergoing Major Renovation, or Being Demolished"
Author: Richard Campbell
Issued: April 2017
 

 
Report highlights
  • Fires in structures under construction resulted in annual losses of 5 civilian deaths, 51 civilian injuries, and $172 million in direct property damage.
  • Fires in structures undergoing major renovation resulted in 4 civilian deaths, 65 civilian injuries, and $108 in direct property damage each year.
  • Fires in structures being demolished resulted in 4 civilian deaths, 16 civilian injuries, and $30 million in direct property damage.
  • Cooking equipment was the leading cause in structures under construction (27% of total), while heating equipment was the leading cause of fires in structures undergoing major renovation (15%), and fires in structures being demolished were most often intentionally set (42%).
Related reports

 

Fires in Structures Under Construction, Undergoing Major Renovation, or Being Demolished, 2010-2014

NFPA codes & standards

Many large and costly fires involving buildings under construction underscore the need for more widespread use of NFPA 241, Standard for Safeguarding Construction, Alteration and Demolition Operations, to address a range of related hazards.

Multiple large-scale fires have occurred at construction sites in 2017, resulting in multi-millions dollar losses - both in direct property damage and losses beyond the structure of origin. Many, if not all, of these incidents could have been prevented with the safeguards included in NFPA 241.

 

From NFPA Journal®

For NFPA members