Name of Report: Patterns of Female Firefighter Injuries on the Fireground
Author: Richard Campbell
Date Issued: July 2017
- Between 2010 and 2014, NFPA estimates that female firefighters experienced an average of 1,260 injuries on the fireground each year.
- Approximately two-thirds (65%) of the injuries were experienced by career firefighters, with volunteer firefighters experiencing the remaining 35% of injuries.
- The leading primary injury symptom was strain or sprain for both career (29%) and volunteer (19%) firefighters.
- The leading cause of injury was overexertion or strain for both career (23% of injuries and volunteer (30%) firefighters, followed by exposure to hazard (17% career, 22% volunteer) and slip or trip (16% of career and volunteer).