NFPA organized the School Safety, Codes and Security Workshop, which was held in December 2014, to pause and reflect on the trends, concepts and ideas in securing the school environment from acts of violence.
While many of the recommendations from that report have been integrated into several NFPA codes and standards, the multiple deadly incidents that have taken place since then underscore the fact that there’s still much more work to be done.
- School planning best practices (PDF), ASIS International
School evacuation guidelines (PDF), Minnesota Department of Public Safety
Locking classroom doors (PDF), Regional Office of Education, Illinois
Risk management (PDF), ASIS International/RIMS Risk Assessment Standard
- Comprehensive School Safety Guide (PDF), Homeland Security and Emergency Management, Minnesota School Safety Center
- School Emergency Response Planning (PDF), Gregg Champlin, School Planning & Natural Hazards Specialist, NH Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- DHS school safety information
- From NFPA Journal® - Stay or Go? Should U.S. schools have the option of using a delayed evacuation policy when it comes to fires and fire drills? (PDF), September/October 2003