Open navigation

Fires by occupancy or Property Type

Report: NFPA's "Fires by Occupancy or Property Type"
Author: Marty Ahrens
Issued: March 2017

Report highlights

Estimates are provided for three general groups of fires.

  • Structure fires. Any fire in or on a building or other structure is considered a structure fire even if the structure itself was not damaged. Mobile property used as a fixed structure, such as manufactured homes and portable buildings, are considered structures. A vehicle that burns inside a structure with the fire limited the vehicle only is, however, considered a vehicle fire.
  • Vehicle fires. Vehicles include highway-type vehicles such as cars, trucks, recreational vehicles, buses, and motorcycles, as well as aircraft, rail vehicles, boats or water vehicles, and industrial, agricultural, home, garden, and construction vehicles. 
  • Outside and other fires. This category includes any fire that is not a structure or vehicle fire, including:
    • Outside grass, brush, forest, crop or other vegetation fires;
    • Outside trash fires;
    • Outside fire involving property of value, such as storage or equipment; and
    • Unclassified fires
Related reports

Contact us

If you have any questions, e-mail Nancy Schwartz or call +1 617 984-7450.