As NFPA seeks to provide greater resources to those who rely on us for critical information and knowledge to eliminate loss from fire and other hazards, we are working to further harness the power of data for our stakeholders, including the U.S. fire service.
About the project
The National Fire Data System will support local, evidence-based, decision making on operational performance, community risk reduction, firefighter safety, health, and wellness, and other fire service activities. The project is developing the groundwork for a flexible and scalable system to collect data from fire departments. We will develop, build, and test the foundation of a system-agnostic infrastructure that will take in, process, store, and share data from the records management systems that local fire departments choose to use.
Fire service engagement
Collaboration between fire service experts and leaders, industry and NFPA are critical for success of the project. Your voice is important, please email us to share your knowledge and suggestions.
Executive Advisory Board
Executive Advisory Board members are representatives of the fire service, who provide high-level, strategic input on the project’s goals and system development.
- Chief Allan Cain, Cary Fire Department – representing CPSE
- Dr. Dov Chelst, Center for Public Safety Management – representing ICMA
- Chief Mike Duyck, Tualatin Valley Fire Rescue – representing Metro Fire Chiefs
- Chief Steven Locke, Burlington Fire Department – representing IAFC
- Chief Joe Maruca, West Barnstable Fire Department – representing NVFC
- Dr. Lori Moore-Merrell, International Association of Fire Fighters – representing IAFF
- Chief Bill Troup, National Fire Data Center - ex offico representative of USFA
- State Fire Marshal Bruce West, Minnesota State Fire Marshal’s Office – representing NASFM
Technical Working Group
Technical Working Group members are fire service data experts within their respective organizations, who will help us address specific technical and system challenges.
- Chief (ret.) Ed Plaugher, NFPA 950 Technical Committee Chair
- Deputy Chief (ret.) Kevin Lundy, Gulfport Fire Department
- Captain Chris Lombard, Seattle Fire Department
- Sara Wood, State NFIRS Coordinator, Kansas State Fire Marshal’s Office
- Kristin Chaffee, Strategic Program Manager, Tualatin Valley Fire Rescue
- Battalion Chief Erich Roden, Milwaukee Fire Department
- Battalion Chief Amy Valdez, Virginia Beach Fire Department
- Assistant Chief Scott Bliss, Central Arizona Fire & Medical District
- The national fire data survey was designed to learn what types of data fire departments collect; what software they use to capture, store and analyze data; and how they use that data for local decision-making. See the survey report. (PDF)
- A request for proposals (PDF) closed in early June to procure the professional services of an established firm with successful experience designing and implementing comprehensive big data solutions for public safety data.
There is no one fire data problem. There isn’t one fire data solution either. Tackling the fire data problem requires ongoing, collaborative, efforts on multiple fronts to address the many challenges that exist.