Take action to protect homes and neighborhoods on May 7 during Wildfire Community Preparedness Day
Research shows risks can be lessened when we invest time in preparing our homes and landscaping to reduce the damage caused by embers during a wildfire. That’s why NFPA and State Farm are pleased to announce the launch of Wildfire Community Preparedness Day (Preparedness Day) on May 7, 2022. Thanks to the generous support of State Farm, NFPA will be able to provide up to 100 applicants from across the country with $500 funding awards to complete a wildfire risk reduction project on event day and we make it easy for you to apply! Learn more about the application process and apply directly on our website.
Since the inception of Preparedness Day in 2014, we continue to be inspired by the hundreds of individuals and groups of all ages from across the country who participate every year. Everyone can get involved and have fun, too! If you’re new to the event, or even if you participate every year, we make it easy to get involved. The following can help you get started:
- Check out information about how you can play a role in wildfire safety at home and download the home improvement project guidelines that apply to any residence and can be accomplished all year long.
- Learn about the May 7 Preparedness Day event and related information on the Preparedness Day webpage.
- Check out past success stories to learn how others have participated on event day.
- Listen to a video interview with residents and firefighters about how their preparedness efforts helped protect their community during a wildfire.
- Download a home ignition zone checklist and additional related resourcesthat you can use to guide you through your projects on event day and throughout the year.
- Download the 2022 Preparedness Day toolkit to get project ideas, tips, and ways to share your accomplishments with the community.
- Apply for a $500 funding awardto help with the cost of your project.
There’s so much to learn and ways to get involved that we can’t wait to get started! Won’t you join us! For more information about Wildfire Community Preparedness Day, how to apply for funding awards, and for project ideas and free resources to download, please visit www.wildfireprepday.org.