Fire Protection Research Foundation 2021 Semi-Annual Activity Summary
Have you missed what’s been going on at the Fire Protection Research Foundation?
Learn about our new projects on Alarm Technologies for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Population, Phase II of Oxygen Reduction Systems for Warehouse Storage Applications, the Economic Impact of Fire Protection and more. Catch up on our nine recently completed research reports and project summaries ranging from the FF Breathing Air Replenishment Systems Report to workshop proceedings on preparing for disasters and advancing WUI resiliency. If you missed out on any of several articles on exciting FPRF projects, please check out the podcast on Cybersecurity in Building Systems, watch the Learn Something New video about what you may not know about carbon monoxide poisoning and alarms, or catch up on one of our past five webinars on building, life safety and suppression topics.
Upcoming events include a webinar on Traditional and Particulate-Blocking Hoods on August 4th, 12:30-2pm, and the SUPDET/AUBE conference to be held September 21-23 in Germany which provides updates on the latest research and applications for suppression (i.e. ”SUP”) and detection (i.e.“DET”) systems. (In person and virtual attendance options are available). For the complete list of current FPRF projects, visit here.
The latest information and knowledge from the Foundation is provided here, at a glance:
Featured publications from 2021 Q1 & Q2 (representative sample)
- NFPA Journal – Disrupting the Flow on FPRF “Impact of Obstructions on ESFR Sprinklers” research program.
- NFPA Journal – Building Cybersecurity “Weak Spots” on FPRF “Cybersecurity for Fire Protection Systems” project.
- NFPA Journal – A Better Fit on “Female Firefighter PPE” project with Florida State University.
- NFPA Journal – General Negligence on FPRF “Carbon Monoxide Detection and Alarm Requirements” project.
- NFPA Journal Column – Green Questions on FPRF “Fire Safety Challenges of Green Buildings” project.
- Fire Technology – Fire Hazard Analysis of Modern Vehicles in Parking Facilities.
- SFPE Fire Protection Engineering Magazine – Modern Vehicle Fire Hazards.
- Safety Science – The simulation of wildland-urban interface fire evacuation: The WUI-NITY platform.
- UK Fire Magazine – Evidence-based recommendations for structural firefighting now available in NFPA 1700.
- International Fire Protection – on “Modern Vehicle Hazards in Parking Garages” research.
- Healthcare Facility Management (HFM) – “Cybersecurity and Fire Protection – Is your system a pathway for internet attacks?”
- NFPA Journal – A New Approach to ITM on FPRF “ITM Data Exchange” research project.
- NFPA Journal – Happy Camper? on FPRF “Damage and Loss Assessment of Recreational Vehicles” report.
- NFPA Journal ‘In Compliance’ – Protecting against the ‘Silent Killer’: Carbon Monoxide Requirements in the Life Safety Code on FPRF “CO Detection and Alarm Requirements: Literature Review” study.
- NFPA Journal – Battered Batteries on FPRF work on Electric Vehicles
- Industrial Fire World – Fluorine Free Foam (F3) Research Highlights Major Deficiencieson FPRF Fluorine-Free Foam work.
- Podcast – Cybersecurity in Building Systems- Interview with Tyler Robinson from FPRF Technical Panel for “Cybersecurity for Fire Protection Systems” project.
- Podcast – A Better Fit – Interview with Meredith McQuerry, lead researcher from Florida State University, regarding a FRPF Advisory Service Project onthe design and fit of “Female Firefighter PPE”.
- Podcast - The Evolving Science of Firefighting – Dan Madrzykowski and Stephen Kerber, UL FSRI, discuss findings of their extensive research and how this knowledge has been collected and distilled into NFPA 1700.
- Podcast – Fires and Recreational Vehicles - Interview with Doug Mulvaney from Campgrounds of America
- Video – Learn Something New “What you didn’t know about Carbon Monoxide Poisoning and Alarms”
- Video –Key findings of the “Damage and Loss Assessment of Recreational Vehicles” report.
- Video – Learn Something New “The Modern US Fire Problem” on the “Fire Safety in the US” project.
2021 Q1 & Q2 webinar update
- FPRF Webinar: Traditional and Particulate-Blocking Hoods: Pros, Cons, and Trade-Offs, on August 4th, 12:30-2pm ET. Register here.
- FPRF Webinar Panel Discussion: Cybersecurity for Fire Protection Systems in September 2021 (Date – TBD) from 12:30 – 2:00 pm ET.
- FPRF launched a new paid “Energy Storage Research Consortium” to support research planning and implementation of projects to fill data gaps for emerging technologies. Email email@example.com for more information.
- SUPDET/AUBE 2021, The Research Foundation’s Annual “Suppression, Detection, Signaling and Applications” Conference in collaboration with the University of Duisburg-Essen’s AUBE Conference, will be held September 21 – 23, 2021 in Mulheim an der Ruhr, Germany. In-person and virtual attendance options are available. Register here.
- 2021 Foundation Medal was awarded to: Evaluation of fire protection effectiveness of fluorine free firefighting foams project by Jensen Hughes & Naval Research Laboratory.
- Holistic Protection Method of Top-Loading Automatic Storage and Retrieval Systems (January 27). Access the webinar here.
- Obstructions and Early Suppression Fast Response Sprinklers (February 10). Access the webinar here.
- Combustible Gas Dispersion and Detector Location Analysis in Residential Occupancies (March 10). Access the webinar here.
- FPRF Webinar: “Fire Safety Challenges of Green Building and Attributes” on April 14, 2021. Access the webinar recording here.
- FPRF Webinar: “ITM Data Exchange: New Frontier of Standardization to Support Reliability Analyses” on June 29, 2021. Access the webinar recording here.
Check out our quarterly newsletter, available at www.nfpa.org/foundation, to stay up to date on the latest information, knowledge, and events from the Foundation.