Safety Source - May 26, 2021
Brush up on grilling safety as Memorial Day weekend nears!
With Memorial Day weekend right around the corner, brushing up on outdoor grilling safety can help ensure a fire-safe holiday weekend. NFPA reminds everyone to follows these key tips and recommendations:
- For propane grills, check the gas tank for leaks before use.
- Keep your grill clean by removing debris, grease, or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
- Place the grill well away from the home, deck railings, and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Always make sure your gas grill lid is open before lighting it.
- If you use starter fluid when charcoal grilling, only use charcoal starter fluid. Never add charcoal fluid or any other flammable liquids to the fire. When you have or are finished grilling, let the coals cool completely before disposing in a metal container.
- Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the grilling area.
- Never leave your grill unattended when in use.
Sign up for the NFPA Network Newsletter