Spotlight on Public Education to be held in Boston, June 6-7
Each year, the Spotlight on Public Education (SOPE) series brings together leaders in fire and safety education, providing numerous opportunities to learn, network with peers, and share ideas for better navigating roadblocks and challenges. As part of the NFPA Conference & Expo in Boston, this year’s SOPE event will be held on June 6-7, featuring eight dynamic education sessions, as follows:
Monday, June 6
- Steps to Safety™: A Community Approach to Preventing Fire and Falls Among Older Adults
- Fire & Life Safety Educational Messaging in Schools: Best Practices from the NFPA Educational Messages Advisory Committee
- Best Practices in Youth Firesetting Education and Intervention—Creating a "No-Fear Zone"
Tuesday, June 7
- Spicing Up Your Fire Prevention Week™ Toolkit
- The Impact of Drugs on Fire Risk in General Population and Older Adults
- Using Virtual Reality to Communicate the Benefits of Home Fire Sprinklers
- Applying Community Risk Assessment Data in Unexpected and Extraordinary Ways
- Fire Safety in the United States since 1980
Community Risk Assessment” Leading with Insights
On Wednesday, SOPE attendees are also invited to attend a CRR workshop, Community Risk Assessment: Leading with Insights. Led by the NFPA Community Risk Reduction (CRR) team, the half-day workshop will guide participants through the CRA process outlined in NFPA 1300, Standard on Community Risk Assessment and Community Risk Reduction Plan Development. Participants will dig into the “HOW” and “WHY” of the CRA process, and have an opportunity to test drive, CRAIG 1300™, the NFPA CRA Insight Generator.
This workshop will provide valuable information for CRR professionals who are both new to Community Risk Assessment and those who are already knee deep in the process. Each participant will leave the session with three customized critical actions to move local CRA efforts forward, a strong understanding of the range of data that support the CRA, and many new CRR colleagues to lean on for support even after you return home.
We strongly encourage everyone to attend this year’s NFPA Conference & Expo in Boston, as it represents the first time in three years the association is hosting an in-person conference and will include special events that celebrate the 125th anniversary of NFPA. Register today!