The Foundation Medal recognizes the Foundation project completed in the prior year that best exemplifies the Foundation’s fire safety mission, technical challenges overcome, and collaborative approach to execution that is the hallmark of all Foundation projects.
The award does not have to be made but a review process takes place. If an award is made, it is presented to the full project team (sponsors, contractor and panel). Foundation projects that are completed in the prior calendar year are eligible, regardless of funding source. An awards committee consisting of representatives from the Foundation Board of Trustees, Research Advisory Committee and NFPA technical staff members review summaries of the projects along with staff assessments of how they met each of the above criteria with the final selection determined by NFPA’s President. We consider all projects except workshops and advisory service projects eligible for the award.
Foundation Medal recipients
2020 - Evaluation of the fire protection effectiveness of fluorine free firefighting foams, Jensen Hughes, Inc., and US Naval Research Laboratory
- 2019 - Digitized Fuel Load Survey Methodology using Machine Vision, University of Buffalo - The State University of New York and Johns Hopkins Whiting School of Engineering
- 2018 - Fire Safety Challenges of Tall Wood Buildings - Phase 2, National Research Council of Canada (NRC-Canada), National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) and Research Institutes of Sweden (RISE)
- 2017 - Lithium-Ion Batteries Hazard and Use Assessment – Phase 3, Exponent, Inc.; FM Global
- 2016 - Pathways for Building Fire Spread at the Wildland Urban Interface, University of Maryland
- 2015 - Development of Standardized Cooking Fires for Evaluation of Prevention Technologies: Data Analysis, Jensen Hughes
- 2014 - Emergency Response to Incidents Involving Electric Battery Hazards, Exponent, Inc.
- 2013 - Determination of Fire Hose Friction Loss Characteristics, Jensen Hughes
- 2012 - High Volume/Low Speed Fans and Sprinkler Operation, Aon Fire Protection Engineering
- 2011 - Antifreeze Solutions in Home Fire Sprinkler Systems, Code Consultants, Inc.; Underwriters Laboratories Inc.