The Foundation Medal recognizes the Foundation project completed in the prior year that best exemplifies the Foundation’s fire safety mission, technical challenges overcome, and collaborative approach to execution that is the hallmark of all Foundation projects.
The award does not have to be made but a review process takes place. If an award is made, it is presented to the full project team (sponsors, contractor and panel). Foundation projects that are completed in the prior calendar year are eligible, regardless of funding source. An awards committee consisting of representatives from the Foundation Board of Trustees, Research Advisory Committee and NFPA technical staff members review summaries of the projects along with staff assessments of how they met each of the above criteria with the final selection determined by NFPA’s President. We consider all projects except workshops and advisory service projects eligible for the award.
Foundation Medal recipients
2017 - Lithium-Ion Batteries Hazard and Use Assessment – Phase 3, Exponent, Inc.; FM Global
2016 - Pathways for Building Fire Spread at the Wildland Urban Interface, University of Maryland
- 2015 - Development of Standardized Cooking Fires for Evaluation of Prevention Technologies: Data Analysis, Jensen Hughes
- 2014 - Emergency Response to Incidents Involving Electric Battery Hazards, Exponent, Inc.
- 2013 - Determination of Fire Hose Friction Loss Characteristics, Jensen Hughes
- 2012 - High Volume/Low Speed Fans and Sprinkler Operation, Aon Fire Protection Engineering
- 2011 - Antifreeze Solutions in Home Fire Sprinkler Systems, Code Consultants, Inc.; Underwriters Laboratories Inc.