Save the Date! Saturday, May 19, 2018
Every day, seven people die from U.S. home fires. The time has come to bring attention to this problem and its solution on a national scale.
NFPA's Fire Sprinkler Initiative and the Home Fire Sprinkler Coalition are initiating Home Fire Sprinkler Day. This project tasks fire sprinkler advocates across America with hosting simultaneous events that promote home fire sprinklers. These events are aimed at raising awareness of this life-saving technology while breaking down the myths and legislative barriers to its use. The goal is to have safety advocates host at least one sprinkler-related event in all 50 states.
Taking action is easy. We've outlined some ideas and have given you the resources to make your event a success. If you need any assistance or have questions, please contact us.
List of potential activities
Take part in one or more of these events. We advise checking with your state or regional fire sprinkler coalition first to coordinate any events with them.
- Host a side-by-side live burn/fire sprinkler demonstration
- Conduct a fire department open house featuring fire sprinkler information and sprinkler riser display
- Initiate a media event/walk-through of a sprinklered home in your community
- Dedicate a training session to your fire department staff on the myths and facts of home fire sprinklers
- Advocate for a "Home Fire Sprinkler Day" proclamation in your town (model language coming soon)
- Spearhead a social media campaign demanding local legislators and decision makers address local fire problem/support sprinklers
- Write letters to the editor or op-eds underscoring your local fire problem and fire sprinkler laws or lack thereof (templates coming soon)
Home Fire Sprinkler Day resources
Use these resources to help convince the media and others on the necessity of fire sprinklers. Some make great handouts, while others are shareable on social media.