May 19-25, 2019
National Press Event: May 22, 2019
The vast majority of fire deaths in North America happen at home. The time has come to bring attention to this problem--and its solution.
NFPA's Fire Sprinkler Initiative, the Home Fire Sprinkler Coalition, and the Home Fire Sprinkler Coalition-Canada will celebrate Home Fire Sprinkler Week from May 19-25, with a national media event on May 22. Fire departments, fire sprinkler coalitions and other home fire sprinkler advocates are urged to join in with local activities at any time during this week. More resources coming soon.
In 2018, we hosted the inaugural Home Fire Sprinkler Day on May 19. This project united fire sprinkler advocates across North America as they hosted events promoting home fire sprinklers. These events raised awareness of this life-saving technology while breaking down the myths and legislative barriers to its use.
List of potential activities
Take part in one or more of these events. We advise checking with your state or provincial fire sprinkler coalition first to coordinate any events with them.
- Host a side-by-side live burn/fire sprinkler demonstration
- Conduct a fire department open house featuring fire sprinkler information and sprinkler riser display
- Initiate a media event/walk-through of a sprinklered home in your community
- Dedicate a training session to your fire department staff on the myths and facts of home fire sprinklers
- Advocate for a "Home Fire Sprinkler Day" proclamation in your town
- Spearhead a social media campaign demanding local legislators and decision makers address local fire problem/support sprinklers
- Write letters to the editor or op-eds underscoring your local fire problem and fire sprinkler laws or lack thereof