NFPA® Wildfire Community Preparedness Day Project Funding Awards Promotion Official 2019 Rules
By participating in this Promotion entrants accept and agree to be bound by the following Official Rules:
1. NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER THIS PROMOTION. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. THE ODDS OF WINNING A PROMOTION PRIZE IN THE FORM OF A PROJECT FUNDING AWARD DEPENDS ON THE NUMBER OF ELIGIBLE ENTRIES RECEIVED.
2. SPONSOR & ADMINISTRATOR. The NFPA Wildfire Community Preparedness Day Project Funding Awards Promotion (the “Promotion”) is sponsored and administered by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA or the “Sponsor”), One Batterymarch Park, Quincy, MA 02169.
3. ELIGIBILITY. Eligibility for the Promotion is open to natural persons who are legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia and, who are 13 years of age and older. Employees, directors and officers of the Sponsor or of State Farm® which has provided funding for the project awards (including their respective affiliates and, advertising agencies and contest administrators, including WizeHive), and their immediate family (spouse, parents, children, siblings, and their respective spouses) and household members are not eligible to enter. This Promotion is void where prohibited.
4. THE PROMOTION PERIOD. The Promotion begins at 8:00am Eastern Time (ET), January 7, 2019 and ends at 11:59:59 PM ET, March 1, 2019 (the “Promotion Period”).
5. HOW TO ENTER. To enter the Promotion, you must be otherwise eligible in accordance with these Official Rules and your entry and entry form must be submitted during the Promotion Period. To enter, you must create a brief description of the proposed project you or your group will undertake and complete on May 4, 2019, Wildfire Community Preparedness Day, to help reduce the risk of wildfire or the impact of a recent wildfire, or to help advance preparedness for wildfire. Your description must include a statement of how the project award will be spent. Projects must be an activity coordinated by a single individual, a small group of individuals, a neighborhood, community-based organization, or entire community working to reduce wildfire risk or post-fire impacts from a recent wildfire or advance wildfire preparedness. If the project is undertaken by a group, the project leader will be considered the entrant or participant in the Promotion. The project description and entry form must be uploaded to WizeHive either through the landing page created for the Promotion at www.WildfirePrepDay.org/contest or through the contest tab on NFPA’s Firewise Facebook page at www.facebook.com/Firewise. All entries will be available to the public for viewing and voting on www.WildfirePrepDay.org and on the Firewise Facebook Page. Entries will be deemed to have been submitted by the natural person whose name is on the entry form. Only one entry per person or per group is permitted. The entry form must be completed by an individual and include the individual’s full name, telephone number, email address, city and state where the project will be undertaken and completed on May 4, 2019. If the project described in an entry is to be undertaken by a group, the individual completing the entry form must be the project leader. In order to submit an entry, you must have obtained any and all consents, approvals, licenses or permissions required for you to submit your entry and for its use as described in these Official Rules. In addition, your entry must not, as determined by Sponsor in its sole and absolute discretion: violate any law or the rights of any third party; contain content that is obscene, offensive, profane, pornographic, violent or derogatory; promote alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing); defame, misrepresent or disparage any third party; communicate messages or images inconsistent with the positive image and/or goodwill to which Sponsor and State Farm® wish to associate; depict unsafe or illegal behavior. All entries become the property of Sponsor and State Farm®. Once an entry is submitted, it cannot be modified, changed or altered in any way for any reason. Once entered in the Promotion, it is solely the responsibility of the project leader to ensure the contact information we have for you is current. Sponsor is not responsible for any failure to contact you if the information is not current. Any attempt by an individual to access any website associated with the Promotion via a bot script or other brute force attack, through the use of automated entry devices or programs, or through any other unauthorized means is prohibited and will result in the voiding of any associated entries and the individual’s disqualification from and ineligibility for participation in the Promotion.
6. WINNER SELECTION. Sponsor will select up to one hundred and fifty (150) winners from among the completed and eligible entries received during the Promotion Period each to receive a $500 project award to use in implementing the project described in the project description in the entry. Winners will be chosen based on the assessment by Sponsor, assisted by others if it chooses in its sole discretion, of the project description’s clarity and ease of understanding. Sponsor will also take into consideration the public voting on the project descriptions. Sponsor reserves the right to reject any entry, in its sole and absolute discretion that it determines does not meet the criteria set forth in these Official Rules.
SELECTION OF A WINNER DOES NOT INDICATE SPONSOR OR STATE FARM® HAS ANY OPINION OF THE EFFECTIVENESS OF THE PROJECT TO ACHIEVE ITS GOAL OR ANY FIRE SAFETY OR PREPAREDNESS GOAL.
7. PRIZES. Each winning entrant will receive a project award of $500 awarded in the form of a check to be used in implementing the project on May 4, 2019 as described in the Promotion entry. Prizes are awarded “as is.” All taxes and any other costs, associated with the project or otherwise, not specifically stated within these Official Rules are the sole responsibility of the winner. Prize may not be transferred or substituted except at the Sponsor’s sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value if advertised prize is unavailable at the time the prize is awarded. Prizes will be awarded in accordance with these Official Rules, provided a sufficient number of eligible entries are received.
8. PRIZE RESTRICTIONS. Winners are subject to verification of identity and eligibility prior to the award of the prize. Winners will be notified at the email address provided with the winner’s entry. Within ten (10) days of the date that notification is sent, the winner must, by return email or other means directed by the Sponsor, provide a response, indicating his or her acceptance of the prize and providing the Sponsor with an executed CONSENT AND RELEASE FORM, confirmation of the winner’s identity and eligibility and agreement with the terms and conditions contained in these Official Rules. The CONSENT AND RELEASE FORM must be signed by a parent or legal guardian if the winning entrant is under 18 years of age. FAILURE TO PROMPTLY SIGN AND RETURN THIS DOCUMENTATION OR TO COMPLY WITH THESE OFFICIAL RULES WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION. Winners who do not provide a timely and full response will forfeit the prize. In addition, the prize will be forfeited if: the winner is found to be ineligible or not in compliance with these Official Rules; the winner declines to accept the prize; the Sponsor is unable to contact the winner through the provided email address; or a prize notification or prize is returned undeliverable. Where a prize has been forfeited, the prize may, at the Sponsor’s sole discretion, be awarded to an alternate winner selected from among the remaining eligible entries.
Prizes will be shipped to verified winners at the Sponsor’s expense. Unless the winner makes other arrangements acceptable to the Sponsor, prizes will be shipped to the verified winner's address as provided in the winner’s entry. Winners shall allow up to four (4) weeks for verification and shipment of their prize. Sponsor shall not be held responsible for any delays in awarding prizes for any reason outside of its control.
9. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION. By entering the Promotion, entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and to accept and abide by all decisions of the Sponsor with regard to the interpretation and implementation of the Official Rules and of the Promotion. By entering the Promotion and by accepting status as Participant or any prize, each participant consents to the use of his/her names, city and state of residence, project description, voice, image, and statements relating to the Promotion or Sponsor, and photographs or other likenesses of him or herself and other project participants along with their project and descriptions, and other details of their project implementation with Sponsor and State Farm® in person, in writing, and/or by telephone at the option of Sponsor and/or State Farm® for promotional, publicity or advertising purposes of Sponsor and/or State Farm® in any and all media now known or hereinafter developed without territorial or time limitation, except where prohibited by law, in Sponsor’s or State Farm® sole discretion without further compensation, notification or permission. By entering the Promotion, entrants represent and warrant that they meet all eligibility requirements for and comply with the Official Rules of the Promotion. Entrants acknowledge that nothing herein shall constitute an employment, joint venture, or partnership relationship between entrant and Sponsor. In no way is an entrant to be construed as the agent or to be acting as the agent of Sponsor in any respect. By uploading any photograph of a project to Sponsor’s website, you represent and agree that you have all rights and permissions necessary to display such images including with regard to the personal rights of any individual whose image appears in such photographs and you grant Sponsor and/or State Farm® the right to use such images for promotional, publicity or advertising purposes in any and all media now known or hereinafter developed without territorial or time limitation, except where prohibited by law, in Sponsor’s or State Farm® sole discretion without further compensation, notification or permission.
10. GENERAL RULES. Taxes, if any, related to the prize are the responsibility of each winning entrant. The Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual that tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Promotion, violates the Official Rules, or acts in any unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with the intent or result of annoying, abusing, threatening or harassing any other person. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, terminate or postpone the Promotion in its sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to terminate or cancel the Promotion in the event there are insufficient entries as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. In the event of termination or cancelation of the Promotion, the prizes may be awarded by alternate means in the Sponsor’s discretion. The decisions of Sponsor, its affiliates and advertising and promotional agencies and contest administrators and judges’ decisions are final on all matters relating to this Promotion.
11. RELEASE AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. BY ENTERING THE PROMOTION, ENTRANT, ON BEHALF OF THEMSELVES, THEIR HEIR(S) AND SUCCESSOR(S), RELEASES, INDEMNIFIES AND AGREES TO HOLD HARMLESS SPONSOR, STATE FARM® INSURANCE, AND THEIR RESPECTIVE EMPLOYEES, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, REPRESENTATIVES, AGENTS, EMPLOYEES AND AFFILIATES AND ANYONE WORKING AT THE DIRECTION OR WITH THE PERMISSION OF SPONSOR OR STATE FARM®, (COLLECTIVELY, THE “RELEASED PARTIES”) FROM ANY CLAIM, ACTION, INJURY, LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH, RESULTING FROM OR ARISING IN CONNECTION WITH PARTICIPATION IN THE PROMOTION AND/OR FROM THE ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, OR USE OR MISUSE OF ANY PRIZE AWARDED. PARTICIPANTS ASSUME ALL LIABILITY FOR ANY INURY OR DAMAGE CAUSED, OR CLAIMED TO BE CAUSED, BY PARTICIPATION IN THIS PROMOTION AND/OR THE USE OR MISUSE OF ANY PRIZE. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY IS A COMPREHENSIVE LIMITATION OF LIABILITY THAT APPLIES TO ALL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING (WITHOUT LIMITATION) COMPENSATORY, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES; LOSS OF DATA, INCOME, OR PROFIT; LOSS OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY; AND CLAIMS OF THIRD PARTIES. PARTICIPANTS AGREE THAT RELEASED PARTIES HAVE NOT MADE NOR ARE IN ANY MANNER RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY WARRANTY, REPRESENTATION, OR GUARANTEE, STATUTORY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, TITLE, AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE), IN FACT OR IN LAW, RELATIVE TO THE PROMOTION, ANY PROJECT CONCEIVED, DESCRIBED OR UNDERTAKEN IN CONNECTION WITH THE PROMOTION, OR THE PRIZE AWARDED. WITHOUT LIMITING THE GENERALITY OF THE FOREGOING, THE RELEASED PARTIES DO NOT MAKE ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS WITH RESPECT TO ANY PROMOTIONAL WEB SITE AND SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR THE CONSEQUENCES OF ANY INTERRUPTIONS OR ERRORS RELATED THERETO.
The Released Parties are not responsible for late, incomplete, inaccurate submissions, or problems of any kind, whether mechanical, human or electronic. The Released Parties are not responsible for technical, hardware or software malfunctions, telephone failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, inability to access a web site, inability to submit an entry, or fraud, incomplete, garbled, or delayed computer transmissions or inaccurate transcription of entry information, whether caused by Sponsor, users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Promotion or by any technical or human error which may occur in the processing of submissions which may damage a user’s system or limit an eligible participant’s ability to participate in the Promotion. The Released Parties are not responsible for late, incomplete, or damaged entries. Entry materials that have been tampered with or altered are void. Should any portion of the Promotion be, in Sponsor’s sole opinion, compromised by virus, worms, bugs, nonauthorized human intervention or other causes which, in the sole opinion of the Sponsor, corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper play, or submission of entries, or should the Promotion be unable to run as planned for any other reason, Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to terminate the Promotion.
12. APPLICABLE LAWS AND JURISDICTION. This Promotion is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Issues concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules and of the rights and responsibilities of the participants in and Sponsor of the Promotion shall be governed by the laws of the State of Massachusetts, without regard to any principles of conflict of laws. All disputes arising out of or in connection with this Promotion shall be resolved individually, and without resort to class action, exclusively by the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts or the appropriate Massachusetts state court for the City of Quincy, Norfolk County, and participants in the Promotion consent to the jurisdiction of such courts with respect to all such disputes. To the extent permitted by applicable law, all judgments or awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket damages (excluding attorneys’ fees) associated with participation in this Promotion and shall not include any indirect, punitive, incidental and/or consequential damages.