Heating equipment is a leading cause of fires in U.S. homes. Local fire departments responded to an estimated average of 52,050 fires involving heating equipment each year in 2012-2016, accounting for 15% of all reported home fires during this time. These fires resulted in annual losses of 490 civilian deaths, 1,400 civilian injuries, and $1 billion in direct property damage.
Social media messages
Use our sample social media posts on heating safety on your Facebook, Twitter on Instagram account.
- Half of home heating equipment fires are reported during the months of December, January & February. Stay safe: http://ow.ly/W1LuP
- Heating equipment is a leading cause of home fire deaths. Please review @NFPA's safety information: http://ow.ly/W1LuP #WinterSafety
- Keep anything that can burn at least 3ft from heating equip (furnace, fireplace, wood stove, portable heater) http://ow.ly/W1LhI
- Read all of NFPA's heating safety tips & download our free safety tip sheet: http://ow.ly/W1LuP #WinterSafety
- With a few simple safety tips & precautions you can prevent most heating fires from happening. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS5xGfRO-Tw
- In this video, tips are given in American #SignLanguage for staying safe & warm while heating your home. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCtnLC6-JPg
- Have heating equipment & chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional. http://ow.ly/W266z #WinterSafety
- Give space heaters space! They account for 4 out of 5 home heating fire deaths: http://ow.ly/W279j #WinterSafety
- Everyone's favorite guy, Dan Doofus, teaches us some important safety lessons about heating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BqR4WNd3lA
- The @NFPA’s easy to read safety tip sheet on heating is available in 9 additional languages! http://ow.ly/W28mE #Farsi #Chinese #Arabic
Dan Doofus learns some important safety lessons about home heating.
Heating fire facts
Based on 2012-2016 annual averages:
- Most home heating fire deaths (86%) involved stationary or portable space heaters.
- The leading factor contributing to home heating fires (27%) was failure to clean, principally from solid-fueled heating equipment, primarily chimneys.
- The leading factor contributing to ignition for home heating fire deaths (54%) was heating equipment too close to things that can burn, such as upholstered furniture, clothing, mattress, or bedding.
- Nearly half (48%) of all home heating fires occurred in December, January and February.
Source: NFPA's “Home Fires Involving Heating Equipment" report
In this presentation, tips are given in American sign language for staying safe and warm while heating the home.