The NFPA Certified Fire Inspector I (CFI-I) certification program was created in response to repeated requests by local entities, state agencies, and national organizations for certification programs founded on the NFPA 1031, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner, and other applicable NFPA codes and standards.
These requests suggested that NFPA be the main catalyst and ultimate certifying body for such programs.
In late 1996, an independent organization conducted research and validated this need. The current Certified Fire Inspector I (CFI-I) certification program has been operational since 1998.
- Be recognized by your colleagues as an expert.
- Gain confidence in your abilities.
- Improve your job performance.
- Position yourself for career advancement.
- Certification holders also receive a CFI-I certificate, wallet card and lapel pin that further highlights their accomplishment.
Fire Inspector I materials
Test center website
To locate a computer-based testing center near you, visit the test center Web site.
A Fire Inspector I four-day training course is offered prior to each CFI-I written exam. Visit the online catalog or call +1 800 344-3555 to register for the four-day training and exam. The exam dates are listed below.
- November 30, 2018, Indianapolis, IN
- December 21, 2018, Orlando, FL
- February 22, 2019, Houston, TX
- March 22, 2019, Las Vegas, NV
- April 26, 2019, Rosemont (Chicago), IL
- May 24, 2019, Tarrytown, NY
- June 28, 2019, Quincy, MA
The latest version of the CFI-I exam is based on NFPA 1031, 2014 edition, Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner.
It is the candidate’s responsibility to obtain materials needed for study purposes and to have present during the examination. The following list contains the resources to be used in preparing for and taking the examination. All items in the examination are compatible with both code sets. Please verify with your jurisdiction or certification partnership agency for the proper set.
2012 NFPA Code Set
2015 NFPA Code Set
These NFPA codes and standards have been conveniently packaged into reference sets and are available for people registering for the CFI-1 exam at a special price, only through the NFPA Certification Department. Refer to the CFI-I application form (PDF, 40 KB) (appendix I) to order these references. Please be sure to indicate which set you would like on your order form.
NFPA Certification Department
1 Batterymarch Park, Quincy, MA 02169
Tel: +1 617 984-7432