Following the successful creation of the Certified Fire Inspector I (CFI-I) certification program in 1998, further requests by local entities, state agencies, and national organizations prompted the NFPA to develop the Certified Fire Inspector II (CFI-II) certification program.
Like the CFI-I, the CFI-II is based on the NFPA 1031, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner. In addition to the codes covered in CFI-I, the CFI-II program expands the fire inspector certification track to include the NFPA 24 and NFPA 220 standards.
Note: Entry into the CFI-II certification program requires that you first attain the CFI-I certification.
The goals of this program are to:
- recognize and provide evidence of competence as related to NFPA 1031, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner
- enhance professionalism
- ensure proficiency in the use of codes and standards
- promote professional development
- ensure a uniform, fair process for certification that is accessible to everyone
Jennifer McWhorter talks about the CFI-II certification.
- Be recognized by your colleagues as an expert
- Gain confidence in your abilities
- Improve your job performance
- Position yourself for career advancement
- Certification holders also receive a CFI-II certificate, wallet card and lapel pin that further highlights their accomplishment
NOTICE: As of March 1, 2019, candidates will be able to register for a computer-based version of the CFI-II exam. The computer-based exam will use electronic plans, and incorporate a pop-up window with scrolling and magnification capabilities. The computer-based exam will be available at testing centers around the world. Please refer to the candidate handbook (PDF) for details.
As of March 1, 2019, the CFI-II exam will be based on updated exam criteria. The changes include new domains, and adjustments to the weighting of the content within the domains. Please refer to the new exam weighted criteria table (PDF) for details.
A Fire Inspector II three-day training course is offered prior to each CFI-II written exam. Visit the online catalog or call +1 800 344-3555 to register for the three-day training or the exam. The exam dates are listed below.
- March 21, Quincy, MA
- December 19, Orlando, FL
The latest version of the CFI-II exam is based on NFPA 1031, 2014 edition, Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner.
It is the candidate’s responsibility to obtain materials needed for study purposes and to have present during the examination. The following list contains the resources to be used in preparing for and taking the examination. All items in the examination are compatible with both code sets. Please verify with your jurisdiction or certification partnership agency for the proper set.
2012 NFPA Code Set
2015 NFPA Code Set
NFPA Certification Department
1 Batterymarch Park
Quincy, MA 02169
Tel: +1 617 984-7432