It is the particular mission of the NFPA Certified Fire Plan Examiner (CFPE) program to promote professionalism within the fire plan examiner field-of-practice through a widely accepted, recognized, appreciated, and practical certification program.
Like the CFI-I and CFI-II certification programs, the CFPE is based on the NFPA 1031, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner. In addition to the NFPA 1031, the CFPE certification program also includes NFPA codes related directly to the plan examiner’s field-of-practice.
- Recognize and provide evidence of competence as related to NFPA 1031, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner
- Enhance professionalism
- Ensure proficiency in the use of codes and standards
- Promote professional development
- Ensure a uniform, fair process for certification that is accessible to everyone
- Be recognized by your colleagues as an expert
- Gain confidence in your abilities
- Improve your job performance
- Position yourself for career advancement
- Certification holders also receive a CFPE certificate, wallet card and lapel pin that further highlights their accomplishment
A Fire Plan Examiner three-day training course is offered prior to each CFPE written exam. Visit the online catalog or call +1 800 344-3555 to register for the three-day training and exam. The exam dates are listed below.
- October 18, 2018, Dallas, TX
- October 18, 2018, Quincy, MA
- March 21, 2019, Las Vegas, NV
The Fire Plan Examiner exam is based on NFPA 1031, 2014 edition, Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner.
It is the candidate’s responsibility to obtain materials needed for study purposes and to have present during the examination. The following list contains the resources to be used in preparing for and taking the examination. All items in the examination are compatible with both code sets. Please verify with your jurisdiction or certification partnership agency for the proper set.
2012 NFPA Code Set
2015 NFPA Code Set
These NFPA codes and standards have been conveniently packaged into reference sets and are available for people registering for the CFPE exam at a special price, only through the NFPA Certification Department. Refer to the CFPE application form (PDF, 40 KB) to order these references. Please be sure to indicate which set you would like on your order form.
NFPA Certification Department
1 Batterymarch Park, Quincy, MA 02169
Tel: +1 617 984-7432