The NFPA Certified Water-Based Systems Professional (CWBSP) was created in 2018 after discussions with leaders in the field of water-based systems design who indicated a strong desire for a credential that will assess and verify demonstration of the knowledge and expertise necessary to be a water-based systems designer.
CWBSP was then developed in consultation with professionals from a wide variety of specialties. The CWBSP credential offers water-based systems design professionals the ability to demonstrate that they understand project development, new and existing systems design, and the ability to complete Hydraulic Calculations. Gain the recognition you deserve as an expert in your field with this specialist certification.
The goals of this program are to:
- Recognize and provide evidence of competence in water-based systems design
- Ensure proficiency in the use of NFPA codes and standards
- Enhance professionalism
- Ensure a uniform, fair process for certification that is accessible to everyone who is eligible
- Facilitate success for those seeking certification
- Promote professional development through continuous learning
- Enhances professional credibility
- Validates specialized knowledge
- Increases customer and employer confidence
- Provides peer recognition
Certification holders also receive an NFPA certificate that highlights their accomplishment.
Body of knowledge
It is the candidate’s responsibility to obtain the reference materials needed for study purposes. NFPA codes are available for purchase by clicking on the related links.
- NFPA 13, Automatic Sprinkler Systems Handbook, 2016 edition
- NFPA 13D, Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems in One- and Two-Family Dwellings and Manufactured Homes, 2016 edition
- NFPA 13R, Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems in Low-Rise Residential Occupancies, 2016 edition
- NFPA 14, Standard for the Installation of Standpipe and Hose Systems, 2016 edition
- NFPA 20, Standard for the Installation of Stationary Pumps for Fire Protection, 2016 edition
- NFPA 22, Standard for Water Tanks for Private Fire Protection, 2018 edition
Compliance with Applicable Laws; Use of Stamps and Seals
Every jurisdiction has its own legal and regulatory requirements governing the qualifications, designations, certifications and/or licensure required to design, layout, draw and/or stamp plans for water-based fire protection systems and the Certified Water-Based Systems Professional (CWBSP) credential alone does not establish the right to perform such work that is regulated by the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ). Therefore, it is the certificant’s responsibility to contact the appropriate AHJ and be aware of any certification, designation, licensure or other requirements, restrictions or limitations applicable to the design, planning, installation and inspection of water-based fire protection systems.
The NFPA name, logo and/or CWBSP logo shall not be used in connection with a stamp, seal or other mark to indicate that plans, drawings or other related documents have been created, reviewed or approved by an NFPA certificant. If CWBSP certificants are required to provide information about credentials on plans, drawings or related documents, the certificant may provide his or her first and last name, name of the credential, the date the credential was earned, the CWBSP certification number and the certification expiration date.
NFPA Certification Department, 1 Batterymarch Park, Quincy, MA 02169
Tel: +1 617 984-7495; email: firstname.lastname@example.org