The NFPA Certified Wildfire Mitigation Specialist Program (CWMS) was created in 2017 after discussions with fire service and forestry professionals at the federal, state, and local levels.
The CWMS credential offers professionals whose work involves wildfire hazard mitigation, the ability to demonstrate that they understand hazard mitigation measures, planning and preparedness strategies, public education practices, and wildland fire science. Gain the recognition you deserve as an expert in your field with this specialist certification.
- Recognize and provide evidence of knowledge of hazard mitigation, planning & preparedness, public education, and fire science concepts associated with the wildland/urban interface
- Enhance professionalism
- Ensure a uniform, fair process for certification that is accessible to everyone who is eligible
- Ensure proficiency in the use of NFPA codes and standards
- Facilitate success for those seeking certification
- Promote professional development through continuous learning
- Enhances professional credibility
- Validates specialized knowledge
- Increases customer and employer confidence
- Provides peer recognition
Certification holders also receive an NFPA certificate that highlights their accomplishment.
IMPORTANT: NFPA wants to partner with you to protect your personal information – NEVER INCLUDE PERSONAL AND/OR CREDIT CARD PAYMENT INFORMATION IN THE BODY OF ANY EMAIL – If you wish to email your application or other personal documentation, it must be placed within an attached document, and you must use the NFPA secure email server. Once you access this server and create your NFPA secure email account, you should select OTHER from the "To" pull-down list, and then enter firstname.lastname@example.org in the address box. Complete the email process by attaching your personal documentation and clicking "Send." Remember your new NFPA secure email account information for future secure communications with NFPA.
Body of knowledge
It is the candidate’s responsibility to obtain the reference materials needed for study purposes. NFPA 1141, NFPA 1143, and NFPA 1144 are available for purchase by clicking on the related links. The remaining reference materials are available at no cost at the links provided.
NFPA Certification Department
1 Batterymarch Park, Quincy, MA 02169
Tel: +1 617 984-7495; Fax: +1 617 984-7127; email: email@example.com