The NFPA Certified Electrical Safety Worker (CESW) is a professional credential for hands-on electrical workers to demonstrate a working knowledge of the practices and concepts found in NFPA 70E® Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace.
The CESW certification program consists of a set of eligibility requirements (completed prior to program application), a computer-based examination (with a retest process in the event that you do not pass the exam), and a set of re-certification requirements (based on a points system) that must be completed within a three-year time period following the initial certification.
The goals of this program are to:
- Promote electrical safety in workplace environments
- Recognize and provide evidence of competence as related to the NFPA 70E Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace
- Promote professional development
- Ensure a uniform, fair process for certification that is accessible to everyone who is eligible
NFPA is currently transitioning to a new Certification Management System to offer you an improved user experience and even greater control over your personal certification journey. Currently, only new applications and retest applications are being processed on this system. We have a separate interim process for recertifications. We apologize for any inconvenience. Updates will be posted here, so check back frequently. Thank you for your patience during this change.
How to apply
- Download the candidate handbook (PDF), familiarize yourself with the program, and determine if you are eligible
- Ensure you are signed in to your NFPA.org profile. If you are not, you will not be able to access the application portal.
- Enter the application portal via the Apply now button below
- Once in the application portal, follow the prompts to complete the application, upload any required documentation, and pay.
- Upon completion of your application and processing of your payment, you will receive an email with your eligibility number, and instructions on how to schedule your exam.
How to retest
If you originally applied before 5/16/22, click the “retest” button below, and follow the directions on the downloadable PDF. If you originally applied on or after 5/18/22, sign in to your nfpa.org profile, and complete the retest application in the new certification management system.
How to recertify
Download the 3-year recertification form (PDF), and follow the instructions.
- Initial Application/exam - $399
- Retest Exam – $199
- Recertification - $180
- Certification by NFPA
- International recognition
- CESW certificate
The CESW certification exam is a three hour, open-book, multiple-choice exam taken at an approved, computer-based testing center. The exam is based on the 2021 Edition of NFPA 70E, Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace. To locate a computer based testing center near you, visit the test center website.
IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING DESIGNATION AS A QUALIFIED PERSON
Per NFPA 70E Section 110.6, designation as a Qualified Person involves factors such as training on equipment and work methods that can be specific to a work site, job function, or employer. Therefore, earning the CESW credential alone does not make the certificant a Qualified Person. It is the responsibility of an employer or governmental agency having jurisdiction to outline the specific requirements necessary to become a Qualified Person for any given job or site. Employers and others may include this certification as one part of the requirements to become a Qualified Person.
NFPA Admin & Support Services
11 Tracy Drive
Avon, MA. 02322