The NFPA Certified Emergency Power Systems Specialist (CEPSS-HC) for Health Care Facility Managers credential was developed in response to the U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) 2016 ruling that states that 17 of the provider types must establish comprehensive emergency preparedness plans.
A component of this ruling requires these facilities to evaluate their emergency and standby power systems. In light of this, NFPA has developed this certification for facility managers to be able to demonstrate that they have the knowledge to keep their facility in compliance with the CMS ruling and with emergency power provisions found in the 2012 edition of NFPA 99, Health Care Facilities Code, as well as the 2010 editions of NFPA 110, Standard for Emergency and Standby Power Systems, and NFPA 111, Standard on Stored Electrical Energy Emergency and Standby Power Systems.
The goals of this program are to:
- Recognize and provide evidence of knowledge with emergency and standby power, and stored electrical energy emergency and standby power systems specific to health care occupancies
- Enhance professionalism within the health care facility management community
- Ensure a uniform, fair process for certification that is accessible to everyone who is eligible
- Ensure proficiency in the use of NFPA codes and standards
- Facilitate success for those seeking certification
- Promote professional development through continuous learning
NFPA is currently transitioning to a new Certification Management System to offer you an improved user experience and even greater control over your personal certification journey. Currently, only new applications and retest applications are being processed on this system. We have a separate interim process for recertifications. We apologize for any inconvenience. Updates will be posted here, so check back frequently. Thank you for your patience during this change.
How to apply
- Download the candidate handbook (PDF), familiarize yourself with the program, and determine if you are eligible
- Ensure you are signed in to your NFPA.org profile. If you are not, you will not be able to access the application portal.
- Enter the application portal via the Apply now button below
- Once in the application portal, follow the prompts to complete the application, upload any required documentation, and pay.
- Upon completion of your application and processing of your payment, you will receive an email with your eligibility number, and instructions on how to schedule your exam.
How to retest
If you originally applied before 5/16/22, click the “retest” button below, and follow the directions on the downloadable PDF. If you originally applied on or after 5/18/22, sign in to your nfpa.org profile, and complete the retest application in the new certification management system.
How to recertify
Download the 3-year recertification form (PDF), and follow the instructions.
- Initial Application/Exam - $399
- Retest Exam – $199
- Recertification - $180
- Be recognized by your colleagues as an expert; Gain confidence in your abilities; Improve your job performance; Position yourself for career advancement; Certification holders also receive an NFPA certificate that highlights their accomplishment
Find a test center near you
To locate a computer-based testing center near you, visit the test center website
NFPA exams are available at hundreds of Prometric brick and mortar test centers around the world or in a remotely proctored environment that you can access on a personal or work computer through Prometric’s ProProctor application. To locate a test center near you, or for details on the remote proctored testing option visit www.prometric.com/nfpacert.
NFPA Admin & Support Services
11 Tracy Drive
Avon, MA. 02322